1911 .45 ACP followup

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Michaelson from em12_686.utsi.edu on April 16, 1998 at 14:01:43:

In Reply to: Re: Whip carriers, pants & gloves... & more? posted by Greg on April 16, 1998 at 13:46:54:

: : : Greg

: : Regarding Webley cal., it does make a difference, considering that Hollywood uses 5 in 1 blanks, and they come in either .38, or .45. The revolver in Raiders was the Smith and Wesson N frame triple lock in .38-44, using the .38 cal. 5 in 1. The New Service in T of D was already a .45, and the Webley would be the .45 converted model for US use. Remember, Indy was from the USA, and Webley was, and still is, difficult at best to find .455 ammunition for, so for those reasons the .45 version would work the best over here. That conversion would have probably been to .45 ACP, making it the same cal. as the Colt auto he pulled out in the Napal scene in Raiders. Yep, one of my hobbies is gun collection too. Thanks for all the additional information. We're learning more and more. Keep up the GREAT work! Regards. Michaelson

Uh, Greg, what do you think ACP stands for? .45 (A)utomatic (C)olt (P)istol. As a past gun dealer and memeber of the NRA for many years, this is news to me. If a 1911 .45 Colt doesn't fire .45 ACP, then we sure better get the word out. I've sold THOUSANDS of rounds and fired same through these pistols, and they seem to cycle beautifully, and will long after I'm dead and gone! Exactly what did you think this gun fired? Only two calibers have ever been produced for the 1911 original, that being .38 Super and .45 ACP. The Delta Elite varient was their 10 MM version that got stepped on by the .40 auto introduction, though can still be found in stores on occation. There are two .45 calibers here, one being the rimless .45 ACP for the automatic, and .45 LC or Long Colt that fit the Colt Peacemaker that is rimmed. WAY to big for the automatic in terms of length, and probably not enough pressure to cycle the slide anyway considering it was originally designed as a black powder round, where the .45 ACP was one of the first smokeless founds developed for the US army pistol, the 1911 . Have I rambled on long enough? Sorry. Bottom line is, yes, the Colt 1911 .45 ACP has and always will be fired with .45 ACP ammo. Regards. Michaelson

: I had no idea about blank calibers-thanks for the info, but one side note: the .45 ACP ammo is NOT the same ammo used in the 1911 Colt .45 auto.

: By the way, I called Angels this morning and talked to the production shop-the woman I spoke to said to her knowledge, no one who worked on the Indy films still works there, and so she has no idea what the fabrics were. However, despite the info from Deborah Nadoolman's assistant that the pants were cotton, just looking at them in all three films, they look more like a thin wool twill. I am at a loss, for the moment, but found a phone number for Anthony Powell's contact person (remember that Anthony Powell did the Temple of Doom Costume design work and together with Joanna Johnston, did the work for Last Crusade). I will see what I can find out from that avenue...

: Greg

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]