Re: How has the Indiana Jones movies shaped you?

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by ROB T. from 162.10.138.28 on May 23, 1999 at 00:15:31:

In Reply to: How has the Indiana Jones movies shaped you? posted by Brett (Yasim) Lambert on May 21, 1999 at 16:30:37:

Gee, my initial reaction to this question was, "Good question, but the Indiana Jones movies haven't really shaped me. They're just good movies."
But then I started to think about it .
I saw "Raiders" when I was sixteen in 1981 and it didn't turn me into a swashbuckling archeologist but it did have an effect on me. At the time I was a directionless high school drop-out. A friend and I had plans to move to Australia and become rock stars (I'm not joking) and during that summer I was perplexed as to how I would save up the five-grand we figured we'd each need to start a new life in Aussie (til our rock-n-roll careers took off, of course)
In the meantime, I had always written short stories; mostly crappy sci-fi stuff starring me and my friends saving the universe.
The winter before "Raiders" I wrote my first adventure story about two agents who are sent to Egypt to rescue a female scientist. It was inspired not by Indiana Jones but by those same Saturday serials that inspired George Lucas (they used to show them on late night TV here in K.C.)
After seeing "Raiders" I got to thinking about my life and realized that Rock-and-roll was not going to welcome me and I needed some other career. So I started writing an adventure novel about a search for the worlds largest diamond in the jungles of Africa. It was similar to "Raiders" in that it took place in exotic locations and featured a wise-cracking adventurist.
I never did finish it but I have always kept my interest in writing and hope to one day finish the great American novel.
In a small way I have Indy to thank for it and the world can thank Indy that they never had to hear me and my buddy on the radio..

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]