Re: Other films Indy fans might like...

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Laurie Jensen from proxy2-external.frmt1.sfba.home.com on May 24, 1999 at 03:14:03:

In Reply to: Other films Indy fans might like... posted by ROB T. on May 23, 1999 at 21:25:30:

: Isaw "The Mummy" for the second time the other day and I was wondering about other films in the adventure genre that I might like to rent and thought I'd ask if any of you had some suggestions?
: I've seen "Beau Geste" and "Gunga Din" and "Robin Hood" and "Mask of Zorro" and "Mark of Zorro." Any others I should see?
: Also, there's a film called "The Four Feathers" that I've heard was good. Has anyone seen it and can tell me if it's worth seeking out?

: Thanks.

I've seen "The Four Feathers" and it was quite good, not to mention Indy fan appropriate. Other films I would recommend are "The Lost Patrol", "The Naked Prey", "Sahara" (the old Bogey film, not that awful Brooke Shields flick) "The Charge of the Light Brigade (another Errol Flynn/Olivia de Havilland pairing), "Captain Blood" (ditto), "The Sea Hawk", "The Thief of Bagdad" (1940 version), the Weissmuller Tarzan movies, "The Treasure of the Sierra Madre", "The Man Who Would be King", "The Arabian Knights" (the 1940's film; there are unrelated movies with the same title), "The Land of the Pharoahs" (cheesy fun), "The Scarlet Pimpernel", and "The Crimson Pirate". A lot of Indy fans also really love the Bond films (an admitted inspiration for the Indy character), but I only like the Connery ones.

In addition, any George Lucas/Steven Spielberg fan should check out the collective works of Akira Kurasawa, David Lean, John Ford, and Howard Hawks. A lot of the themes, stories, and film shots used by Lucas and Spielberg were influenced by these famous filmakers. The final shot from Last Crusade, for example, is directly copied from Lawrence of Arabia, while Kurasawa's "Hidden Fortress" is a veritible bible for "Star Wars" and "The Phantom Menace".

Have fun at your video store.

Laurie

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL: