After Phantom Menace, not sure I want Indy IV (Spoiler-free, I hope)

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by BMan from ppp2-25.ruralnet.net on May 26, 1999 at 16:43:02:

I finally saw the Phantom Menace this weekend.

I enjoyed it, and will see it a couple more times, but I was disappointed in the seeming lack of character development. If Lucas has kind of lost his touch with the Star Wars universe, then I'd almost rather he didn't mess with Indy anymore.

Episode 1 was cool to watch, but I never really got interested in any of the characters. I didn't have a reason to care what happened to any of them, and they never seemed to have much motivation to do the things they did. They were almost secondary to the special effects. It reminded me in a way of The Lost World and Independence Day.

Our saving grace may be that Lucas will only develop the story for Indy IV, and another screenwriter will flesh out the details.

Also, since the movie would revolve around Indy, we hopefully wouldn't have the lack of focus that I felt plagued the Phantom Menace. I'm still not sure whose story was the focus- Anakin? Qui-Gon? Amidala? Obi-Wan? They were almost all just caricatures, instead of the wonderful, complex character that Indy is in the movies.

Just my humble opinion.

BMan

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL: