Re: Hat shrinkage?

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Michaelson from em12-686.utsi.edu on May 27, 1999 at 14:39:55:

In Reply to: Re: Hat shrinkage? posted by Abner on May 27, 1999 at 08:51:24:

: :
: : Good question, when talking to a HJ representative I was told the opposite actually happens....with regular wear the hat will actually spread a bit from use...however, who knows if it gets wet. The fit should feel snug but if you feel a dull throbbing in any part of your head from wearing it for a time chances are it may be too snug. It can be stretched at a hat shop one or two sizes...

: My limited experience with fedoras tells me they do shrink when you are not wearing them. For example, if you get it wet and then just put it in your closet it will probably shrink a bit, but the more you wear it the more it will stretch to the size of your head.

: Cheers,
: Abner

Another thing to consider would be investing in a good hat stretcher should the hat ever become soaking wet, or you plan to store it for any length of time. David Morgan of Indy whip fame has a very good one in their catalog for about $17 if my memory serves me correctly. Any yes, all GOOD felts will shrink if they are dried to quickly, or with a heat source. If allowed to dry at normal room temperature there should be little if any problem. I haven't had any drastic changes in mine to date, but I do recommend the stretcher for storage use. Regards. Michaelson

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]