The Replacement Killer

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Thuggee Bear from host-209-214-180-10.cae.bellsouth.net on May 27, 1999 at 22:49:21:

With all the talk about getting a new actor to play Indy, I have to point out- didn't they already do this? Sean Patrick Flannery has already done a bunch of Indy movies, the problem is the ratings were so lukewarm that they had to bring in Ford for a cameo. YIJC was a cool show, and I respect everyone's opinion about it, but c'mon, we're a little bit biased I would think. Sure, we'd go see just about anything Indy-related, just look at all the posts The Mummy received.
But you also have to remember two things. First, Indy wasn't a character before Raiders, so to a large majority of moviegoers, Ford IS and will always BE Indiana Jones, and a lot of people went to those movies just to see HIM! Second, you've only got a limited timeframe to work with, if you're gonna keep the continuity. Sure, the trilogy only covered the `30's, but then the novels and YIJC made things a bit more cramped. I know Lucas likes to keep an eye on continuity, as he does with the Star Wars novels.

Also remember that even Episode I, which analysts considered "Pre-sold", had to go through a "testing period". When the studio re-released the original trilogy, they were most interested in how it would be received so that they could better decide on the prequels. I'm not so sure they would exactly jump at the prospect of a Ford-less Indy sequel. Especially given YIJC's less than stellar ratings history, and the fact that the franchise is nearly 20 years old, with the last update being 10 years ago.

So given the fact that the comic line and novels haven't exactly done great business, (I don't blame the writers for this, because I love the stories), and since the studio hasn't put much pressure to make a fourth one anyway, I'd rather they not even try another one if they're not gonna use Ford. If they did, I'm afraid it would be too much like a Next Karate Kid, or Predator II, than a successful switch a la the Bond films. Don't forget, even the Star Trek films are in trouble since they replaced the original cast, another Paramount (no pun intended) decision.

I'm not going for any toes here, but hey, you ARE messin' with THE man! (Ford)

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]