Re: Herbert Johnson fedora

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Christopher from tay-110-67.ev1.net on May 28, 1999 at 14:32:15:

In Reply to: Re: Herbert Johnson fedora posted by Indy Magnoli on May 27, 1999 at 22:48:14:

: : I was thinking of buying a Herbert Johnson Indy fedora. I need a
: : cool looking hat for when I go rafting and stuff and was wondering
: : how rugged this hat is. For example, would it survive a dip in a
: : river:)? Does it clean well? Also, any suggestions on how I should get
: : my head measured? Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

: It is a rugged hat, but not in the same way that a Panama Jack is rugged. You need to take care of a Herbert Johnson, but it won't fall apart on you either. I've had mine completely soaked through and it was able to take it's shape back by allowing it to dry properly. With a felt hat, however, the crown will tend to shrink after being that wet. The band will be allright, since you'll be wearing it, helping it to maintain it's original size, but the rest of the crown will shrink, causing it to change shape slightly.

: Be warned, if you want to spend this much money on a hat, felt might not be the way to go for a rafting hat. Regardless, I do stand by the quality of this hat. And, as for the crown shrinking, if you're near a major metropolitan area, you can have the hat reblocked without too much difficulty. I'm just bitter, because I'm in a tiny little town in New Zealand with not a hat shop for countless miles, er, kilometers.

: Kind regards,
: Indy

Thanks for the response. Exactly how do I allow it to "dry properly"?

-Christopher

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]