Re: In addition...

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Goodsport from ivy.tc.pw.com on May 28, 1999 at 15:09:20:

In Reply to: Re: Immortality without Faith?!? posted by Goodsport on May 28, 1999 at 15:05:19:

: For one thing, those other movies and TV shows you mentioned have nothing to do with Indy... since they had different creators, directors, etc., they each have different visions on how immortality was obtained (according to Highlander 2, for example, "Immortals" were born like that - from a different planet, no less!).

: As far as the theory of "I'll just drink from the Grail and I am automatically immortal", it doesn't quite work like that. Anyone who drinks from it must do so either with Faith (it is a holy object, after all), do so with noble intentions or both. To drink from the Grail having neither of these won't do the drinker squat!

: Case in point: Donovan's motivation for immortality was greed. Also, he took one of the golden "Grails" Elsa chose for him, calling it the "Cup of Kings" - he accepted it only because it was made with gold and had jewels on it.

: Indy's motivation, on the other hand, was to save his father's life (a noble intention). He may or may not have even wanted to drink from the Grail in the first place, but did so to see if it was the right one to help his dad. The fact that he knew that the one he chose was the "Cup of a Carpenter" helped, of course. :)

:
: -G

I forgot to add - I don't think that God cared from which "Grail" they drank out of... He cared about the motivation of the drinker.

-G

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]