For Rik Duel! (RE: Abner Ravenwood's looks)

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Brisco from fwk098144.res-hall.nwu.edu on May 28, 1999 at 16:02:10:

I just replied to Rik Duel's post "A little trivia," a response to a question about Abner Ravenwood's looks, below. But it's pretty far down and I was afraid no one would see it, so I'm reposting it up here. If anyone has anymore information about this, please reply. Thanks!

: Some time ago I went to a kind of mini-convention here in Brisbane, and artist Hugh Fleming, who does cover art for Dark
Horse Comics, showed us some slides of some of his work. One thing he showed us was a cover he had done for an Indiana
Jones project which never got off the ground because it was nixed by Lucasfilm, and it involved Indy's early days with Abner
Ravenwood, and the ill-fated romance with Marion. Hugh Fleming and his co-worker on the project modelled the character of
Abner physically on actor Wilford Brimley, which I thought was a great choice.

That project was to be called "Indiana Jones and the Lost Horizon," I believe (or "Last Horizon" maybe). The plot involved
Indy, Marion and Abner finding the headpiece to the Staff of Ra. You can read a short description on the Indy timeline in the
West End games "World of Indiana Jones" sourcebook. It's really too bad the comic never happened because it sounds great.
Also, from what I've heard, Hugh Fleming was planning on doing not only the covers but the interior artwork, and that would
have been amazing. But I thought this project was cancelled by Dark Horse, on account of poor sales on other Indy titles like
"Sargasso Pirates," and not by Lucasfilm. That's really interesting if it was Lucasfilm, though; I wonder why? Do you have any
more info?
Thanks,
Brisco

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: