Re: Jock was just the ride home?

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Michaelson from em12-686.utsi.edu on May 31, 1999 at 08:47:58:

In Reply to: Re: Jock was just the ride home? posted by The Man with the Hat on May 30, 1999 at 16:23:39:

: : : I'm thinkin' that weasely Jock character was just Indy's ride home in "Raiders". Otherwise somebody's got a lot of 'splainin' to do. Because if Jock dropped Indy off at the river/lake then what's the deal with all the guides and junk? Indy's leadin' the way plus he's got the map, so he don't need no guides. And what's with the donkey's carryin' supplies and stuff? You don't need no special gear to walk a distance that Indy ran in about 20 seconds....but then if Jock was just there to pick Indy up, how did he know where to be? It's a conspiracy baby, yeah!

: : : Austin....Danger Powers

: : If you'll read the script and all other sources regarding the start of Raiders, Indy only had 1/3 of the map, the other two handed him the other two pieces that he was holding together when he was almost shot in the back. I always thought that Jock just flew Indy there to meet the others, and was to fly him and the idol out of the country after it was found. At least that's the way past conversations have gone concerning his presence. Regards. Michaelson

: I'm don't think that Jock brought Indy to Peru. If he had, Indy would have known about Reggie.Unless, of course, Jock picked up Reggie while waiting for Indy, but that seems like a stretch. I think Indy started the expedition from a nearby village and told Jock to be waiting for him at a designated spot. Jock arrived a little early and decided to get in a little fishing (pirahna fillets! Mmmmm!) Then Indy cut Jock's fishing short when he burst from the jungle with the Hovitos on his heels. The question I have is is the Chachapoyan temple was that close to a large water source, why didn't Indy just go by boat?

: See ya.

: The Man with the Hat

:
: "Fortune and Glory, Kid. Fortune and Glory."

EXCELLENT points here! I let for home and thought "man, I missed the boat on that one!" As to why he would have had the plane instead of the boat, what better way to quickly spirit the idol out of the country, dodge Belloq in the process (if he knew he was in the neighborhood), and escape the wrath of the Hovitos than by plane? Just to play devil's advocate here, though, Reggie could have been in the baggage hold on the trip up and was only placed in the front seat for "airing" before Indy came back, but I also agree it's doubtful. Indy would have had to make the contact for the other two thirds of the map and would have therefore had to come up with the "safari" by foot to the temple, therefore no ride up by plane. Regards. Michaelson

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]