Re: The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Brisco from fwk098144.res-hall.nwu.edu on May 31, 1999 at 13:01:19:

In Reply to: Re: The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles posted by Michaelson on May 31, 1999 at 08:40:29:

: I believe that another thing a lot of folks missed regarding the creation of YIJC's was that it was not specifically created as a vehicle to flesh out Indy, but to create a vehicle that allowed George Lucas to explore and introduce history and historical figures to young people. At least that's what he said in a television guide interview he made back when the show came out. He wanted it to be used as a learning tool for kids to explore events in history and used Indy as a "guide" to take them to those interesting places and try to understand the circumstances that started many historical events. I learned quite a bit and had MANY things cleared up regarding several points of history that I had always taken for granted, such as the confusing reasons for the start of WWI, and the maze of confusion regarding who was allied to whom during that war.

I learned a lot from YIJC, too. In fact, when that was on my sophomore year of high school, I was taking Modern European History. I was in a play in the fall, and we had a test during Hell Week for the play, so obviously I'd had no time to study or even read the materials. I went into class dreading that test, and then proceeded to answer every question from what I'd learned on the Young Indiana Jones Chronicles. I got the highest grade in the class, and the teacher commended me the next day as "the one student who obviously did all of his reading." I didn't have the heart to correct him. Anyway, I'm not advocating watching TV instead of reading schoolbooks, but that story illustrates what I learned and what I thought was wonderful about the YIJC.
Brisco

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]