Re: Indy's women...

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Abner from user-2ive89s.dialup.mindspring.com on June 01, 1999 at 23:52:28:

In Reply to: Indy's women... posted by ROB T. on June 01, 1999 at 23:19:35:

: Of the three women who costarred in the Indiana Jones pictures, only Kate Capshaw has gone on to any measure of fame and really only as Mrs. Steven Spielberg. My question is why. All three pictures were huge hits all over the world and the three women had large roles in them.
: Indy made a star out of Harrison Ford so why not Karen Allen or Allison Doody (whom I've never seen in any other film) or Kate Capshaw?
: Lots of women have become superstars because of one role in lesser films (like Sharon Stone with "Basic Instinct")
: Is it as simple as saying Action flicks don't make stars of women?
: What about Sigourney Weaver in "Alien?"

: What do you think???

None of the Indiana Jones women were very strong as characters. Elsa was the strongest, but her role was as small as the others, not the kind of thing that gets an audience excited about a female actress. Also, there is not a lot of sex in the Indy films. Audiences tend to really like a) strong female characters or b) super-sexy female characters. If you get both, in the case of Sharon Stone in Basic Instinct, well there you go.

Say, wasn't Sharon Stone in that Indy ripoff with Richard Chamberlain "Alan Quartermain and King Solomon's Mines"? (I mean the movie not the book by Rider Haggard, which was around before Indy)

Cheers,
Abner

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL: