Re: (Yawn) Another Historical error in Raiders

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Browning from srt-cisco-118.dialup.ndak.net on June 03, 1999 at 05:56:44:

In Reply to: (Yawn) Another Historical error in Raiders posted by Abner on June 02, 1999 at 20:49:08:

: The plane shown taking off from San Franciso (in the wrong direction) over the completed (several months too early) Golden Gate Bridge is a Boeing 314, which didn't start service until 1939.

: The first commercial air service from North America to Asia did begin on October 23, 1936 but the Martin M-130 (Also a flying boat, but different) was used. Didn't Raiders have to occur before October 23rd since the leaves were still green at the University in upstate New York?

: I know it's a just a fake movie but I'm always dissappointed somehow when I learn that certain things are inaccurate or COULD NOT have possibly happened.

: Maybe because it seemed so real when I watched it as a kid.

: Check out the great pictures and info at www.panam.org

: Cheers,
: Abner

Actually, the issue of Life magazine that the German agent was reading on the plane when Indy got on was the November 30, 1936 issue. So, if you use that to determine when the scene occurred, the flight took place in late November or early December. In case you're interested, that issue appears from time to time on eBay and makes a cool Raiders collectable. I picked one up myself a couple of months ago.

Browning

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]