The Phantom Menace could not have been made without Young Indy!

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Brett (Yasim) Lambert from 209.5.179.11 on June 06, 1999 at 18:51:34:

Yeah, you read right, an actual Indiana Jones product paved the way for a Star Wars product, not vice versa. The book I'm reading, "The Making of Star Wars: Episode I -- The Phantom Menace" constantly credits the "Young Indiana Jones Chronicles" as a testing ground for Episode I. Not only were most of the crew (and some of the cast) of Episode I were also a part of Young Indy, and it served as a tester for all those special effects. I read that in Young Indy, they made 12 horsemen into like a few dozen and 30 extras into a few hundred. They also use the technique of being cost efficient (which Lucas has always done, but I suspect for YIJC, he demonstrated it best) by building sets and leaving them stand and return to them when needed, and also being minimalistic in how many sets they should build (McCallum notes that other productions would have a scene where a character walks into the kitchen but you never actually get to see the kitchen, but they would build the kitchen whether they needed to or not). Anyways, it's very interesting reading and I just had to mention it because this book constantly cites Young Indy. Well, I'm going to continue to read this excellent book, and may the force be with you and don't fall into a pit of snakes!

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]