Fortune and Glory, George! Fortune and Glory!

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by The Man with the Hat from port173.maxc04.bignet.net on June 06, 1999 at 19:24:35:

In Reply to: How do you feel about George Lucas? posted by Mark Indy on June 05, 1999 at 16:42:10:

: The whole Wested-being-discontinued mess below seemed to really illuminate a lot of pent-up agression towards poor old George. It's not just that, but ever since Phantom Menace came out he's been repeatedly accused of being another Hollywood money-hoarder. I'm curious why that is... he seems to me genuinely much more interested in the storytelling aspect, just like he claims to be. There was demand for Star Wars so he provided it, now he's being ostracized for it for some reason. I understand the massive merchandising puts off a lot of people, but think back to the original trilogy when he was praised for it as an enterpreneur (he invented it) and sure made a lot of kids happy (I know, I was one of them). Just because Menace isn't The Empire Strikes Back doesn't have to mean he only filmed it for the money, it's his baby after all so it's only natural he'd want to be involved in as much of production as possible, and if the quality isn't the best it probably has more to do with him being out of practice than with having the ability to put out an inferior product because he knows the returns will come in anyway. I think Spielberg is much more money-oriented than Lucas in that respect, with all the less-than-stellar sequels and massive advertising campaigns(Jurrasic Park 2, 3?) Anyway, what do you think?

: Mark

Sure, George Lucas has Fortune and Glory, but we gave it to him!! If we should be mad at anyone, we should be mad at ourselves!

See ya,

The Man with the Hat

"Fortune and Glory, Kid. Fortune and Glory."

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: