Is lambskin really better than the hide? Actually, yes.....

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Michaelson from em12-686.utsi.edu on June 07, 1999 at 11:07:16:

In Reply to: Re: Is lambskin really better than the hide posted by Pete on June 07, 1999 at 10:38:23:

: Has anyone actually been able to see both. Is the lambskin really better than the hide.

: : With everything that's been going on with the Wested Jackets, I think I need to order one ASAP. Does anyone know which of the leathers to order? Which is better the lambskin or the hide? I spend time in both warm in cold climates. I also consider myself the active type, so does anyone have an opinion as to which might best suite my needs.

: : I also heard there are three versions. Anyone have any opinions on which?

: : thanks

: : joe

About all I can do is repeat what a leather manufacturer told me here (and there are several located here in Southern Tennessee by the way), he said that "skin" versus "hide" is based on the age of the animal. The younger the animal, the leather is a skin and is actually denser in terms of the fiber per square inch. Hide is from an adult, and though tougher, it isn't rated as dense, though it off sets the lower density by it's thickness. The said you just can't figure how resistant a section of leather simply by the weight of the material. The best comparison I got was the difference between tunston and steel. Tunston is EXTREMELY light weight compared to steel, but is vastly stronger than than steel in tensile and molecular strength. A coat of "skin" is much lighter than "hide", but is actually much more resistant to tearing that hide, and so would be an excellent material to choose for jacket material. I've owned both myself, and have found the lambskin extremely tough and has taken much more abuse than I expected to accept without some sort of problem, where my A-2 jacket of cowhide scratched deeply, though held because of it's thickness of material. That's what I can offer for your musing. Regards. Michaelson

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]