Brett's question about Indy movie on a desert island...

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by ROB T. from 162.10.138.28 on June 09, 1999 at 01:42:27:

Brett's question got buried down in the forum so I thought I'd bring it back up to the top. He asked if you were stranded on a desert island and could bring only one Indy film with you, which would it be?

Let's put aside the question of whether or not you could watch a video on a desert island. This is fantasy so let's assume that you can.
Let's just say I was out on a three hour tour and the weather started getting rough. I've been thrown overboard and washed ashore on a deserted island in the South Pacific. Next to me on the beach are a few crates that survived the storm. One crate has some clothing and tools and provisions I would have to have just to survive; a water purification system would be nice.
Another crate has a TV and a VCR. Still another crate has a generator so I can watch the TV. and then there's a little package wrapped in brown paper. From its shape I can tell it's a videotape. In the breathless moments of anticipation as I rip off the wrapper, which Indy film am I hoping to find inside?
If I have to limit my choice to one of the Indy films I'd have to go with "Raiders." But if I can only have one film to watch for the rest of my lonely life on a desert isle I probably wouldn't choose any of the Indy flicks. They're adventure films and no matter how much I love them they would tend to get old if I had to watch them everyday; you can only see Indy get dragged under the truck so many times before it would start to lose its luster.
I think I might choose "Gone With the Wind." At four hours running time it would kill more time than "Raiders." But it has little problems that bug me so maybe I wouldn't want to watch it over and over either.
How about "Casablanca?" It's a perfect film that loses nothing with multiple viewing. But it's a romance. Do I really want to see a romance when I'm stranded alone on an island? Who needs to be reminded of what they can never have again?
Maybe I should go with something that's total fantasy so I won't be reminded of what I'm missing in the real world. How about "The Wizard of OZ?"
But then it's got that whole "No place like home" thing going on. Another place I can never go again.
Oh hell, can I just trade the video for a good book?

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]