Re: "You call this archeology?"

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by The Man with the Hat from port139.noc.bignet.net on June 10, 1999 at 16:47:34:

In Reply to: Re: "You call this archeology?" posted by Michaelson on June 10, 1999 at 14:46:44:

: : : : It always struck me as odd when Marcus asserts that everything Indy does adheres to the treaty for the protection of antiquities. If that's so, the treaty must be lenient to the point of being useless.
: : : : Indy destroys the Hovitos temple at the beginning of "Raiders" and does lots of damage to the Well of Souls.
: : : : In fact, Indy's entire method of obtaining rare antiquities seems to be to steal the most valuable object and destroy everything else. Then of course beat up or kill a few Nazis while he's at it.
: : : : It's no wonder that Harrison Ford describes Indy as a grave robber.

: : : Well, to use the dreaded term, let's not be to "politically correct" here, as in 1930's terms they considered any action used to obtain rare antiquities for museums were ethical and correct. Archeologists now consider even the sites as important, as indeed they are, but then they considered the contents and contents alone as being what the science was all about. Regards. Michaelson

: : They did have excavation methodology pretty well established in the 30's already. The importance of the site itself was recognized, as well as meticulous recording common at that time. I think the Egyptology crowd was the first to adopt that, and then Evans was the first major archaeologist to do that early this century at Knossos, and then followed by others like Dorpfeld and Blegen at Troy. I think Schliemann horrified everybody so much they decided never to allow such again! : ) Though you have to admit in Indy's case, it's hard to be methodical when you've got a bunch of goons hot on your heals ready to steal the artifact for their own dastardly purposes (or the glory in Belloq's case.)

: : Cheers!
: : Mark

: I'd have to say, that would indeed be pretty distracting in any field of endeavor, wouldn't it? (grins) Regards. Michaelson

My take on this is that when he said this (Raiders-1936), he had no idea how Indy got his artifacts! He was never on an adventure with Indy until 2 years later. I wonder what his opinion of Indy's acquisitions was then?!

See ya,

The Man with the Hat

"Fortune and Glory, Kid. Fortune and Glory."

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: