Double hmmm......

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Michaelson from em12-686.utsi.edu on June 11, 1999 at 08:22:30:

In Reply to: Re: hmmm posted by Forrestall on June 10, 1999 at 21:16:05:

: : : I won't argue with the problem of availability. The Hi-Power had only been available commercially from Fabrique Nationale for a year at the time of Raiders and only in limited numbers, but unfortunately Raiders is full of anchronistic equipment(Mk VII bag, Walther P-38), so although your reasons are all correct they don't rule out the Browning by themselves. As far as the groove is concerned, I'm not sure I made myself clear. Neither the M1911 or the M1911A1 had the "groove" I'm talking about. They both have a similar point where the lower portion of the slide narrows (over the guide rod and spring) but the portion of the slide which covers the barrel itself (top tw thirds or so) remains the same width. And it really, REALLY looks like the gun Indy had shows the groove from top to bottom like the Browning. Again, just a friendly disagreement. I currently own a M1911A1 and sold my Browning several years ago. I intend to remedy that mistake soon and it'll be the Hi-Power I keep in my Mk VII bag. I love this discussion.

: : : -Browning

: : Amen to that brother! Max and I occationally have these discussions too. Keeps the cobwebs cleared away. Keep your powder dry, my friend! Regards. Michaelson

: In the scene just before Indy asks for whiskey, the pistol is at an angle where you can see the slide from the top. The step down narrowing of the slide, about two inches from the muzzle, is very obvious. The 1911 Colt slide has no such taper. also the destinctive shape of the ejection port is also visible in the same scene. Forrestall

I see the forces are gathering against me! What I'm going to have to do is get a good solid 6 head VCR (which I do have access to) and still frame this for a better look. I just can't see the port difference on my screens. Heck, I'm a Ruger P-85 man myself. I'm making this up as I go! (grins) Regards. Michaelson

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]