Indy inspirations...

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by ROB T. from 162.10.138.28 on June 14, 1999 at 02:11:39:

In Reply to: What do you people think is the best movie to inspire Indy and the best Indy-inspired movie? posted by Brett (Yasim) Lambert on June 13, 1999 at 07:14:26:

"The Mummy" is certainly the closest thing to an Indy flick to come out since "Raiders" and the others. Also I think "Romancing the Stone" comes close. There are some Indy-ish moments in "The Phantom" and "The Rocketeer" too.

I saw "Gunga Din" about a year ago and while I liked it, it really didn't remind me of Indy so much as it did all those French Foriegn Legion films that Hollywood used to make. They were practically their own genre during the thirties to the fifties; two versions of "Beau Geste" and two of "Four Feathers" come to mind.

Two old flicks come to mind for me as possible inspirations for Indy; "King Solomon's Mines (1950)" and a movie I saw called "The Southern Star" with George Segal and Orson Welles. I liked it as a kid but it's probably not as good as I remember but you might want to check it out.

George Lucas has said that Indy was inspired by the old serials. I have "Zorro's Fighting Legion" on tape and it's very exciting. If you've seen the "Making of Raiders" video it shows a stunt from Zorro that inspired the truck scene. Zorro is on a speeding stagecoach and falls between the horses. As the stage goes over him he does a somersault underneath it and grabs the back end and climbs back onboard. It's an incredible stunt done by Yakima Canutt.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]