Re: Question for all die-hard fans....

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Michaelson from em12-686.utsi.edu on June 14, 1999 at 13:34:04:

In Reply to: Question for all die-hard fans.... posted by Shade on June 14, 1999 at 13:23:22:

: I have a question fro everyone. Given that Lucas is doing essentially *nothing* with the Indiana Jones series (maybe a fourth installment, maybe not), how would everyone feel if the archaeologist/adventurer concept was carried on in other films, or books, with different characters? Would that be considered copying, and automatically not worthy of attention? Or, is this something that the average Indy Jones fan would savor, providing it's done well? There's no way that anything could rival the Indy Jones films, but as a fan who needs more of what they offer me, I, personally, would love to see more movies like them. It kills me that Lucas is sitting on a property like this, and isn't really letting it go anywhere. And, as a writer who grew up with the Indy films, I would love to do something in that vein. I have several ideas for movies like these. But, it would break my heart if the rest of the die-hard fans wouldn't be open to it. So, how does everyone feel about things like this?

I'm sure we would all be interested in anything that would "feed" the Indy needs we have, as the Indy IV project in it's maybe/maybe not status can drive one daffy. I was re-reading parts of my "Making of Raiders of the Lost Ark" paperback last night, and in the early chapters it is stated that if (or when) Raiders shows to make a profit , the the way will be open for them to move forward to make the next 2 movies of the series, therefore Lucas had a plan in 1981 for the trilogy as he did originally for Star Wars. If IV is to become a reality, then he has had to back up and punt with new ideas, as in '81 he didn't see this as a possible scenario for LucasFilm. He apparantly was only thinking in threes for stories. I have read the story by Nick Kismet (and if no one else has, an EXCELLENT read) and throughly enjoyed it. Even with Indy changed out and a character by the name of Nick Kismet substituted in his place didn't phase me at all, as the quality of writing is there, and the strength of character is there too. As long as a writer can grasp the essence of the type adverturer that Indy is in their writings, then I believe there will be success for that writer, as from all the postings I'm reading just here, there are a lot of us who seem to search out this kind of literature. Did any of this rambling help? Hope so. Regards. Michaelson

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]