Re: Question for all die-hard fans....

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Shade from spider-wj083.proxy.aol.com on June 15, 1999 at 02:33:41:

In Reply to: Re: Question for all die-hard fans.... posted by Rik Duel on June 14, 1999 at 15:43:09:

::: Me, I'd be into it, especially if done well. In the film biz 'copying' is known as 'drawing inspiration from'. Just so long as it isn't too close. I mean, leave out the whip and fedora.:::

Thanks, folks, this is encouraging! And, don't worry, my characters don't wear fedoras or crack bullwhips! My concern was just that, this genre has become almost synonymous with Indiana Jones, and it's daunting to try and develop a story involving a mixture of adventure and archaeology with the shadow of Indy always looming in the background. Indy is THE MAN. And it's because of this that I look to fellow fans for a blessing, of sorts.

::: For me, the Indiana Jones Genre has developed in a way that I myself would rather it hadn't. Each and every film revolves around a powerful supernatural object.

There are excellent Indy-style scenarios that could involve intrigue, suspense, romance, action and adventure, that are not bound to have a finale surrounding a supernatural artifact.:::

I agree about the supernatural thing. I think that's why I've gravitated more toward Temple of Doom, in recent years, because the supernatural element wasn't quite as in-your-face as the Ark sequence, or the Grail sequence. Which is not to say that I don't love those two films! But, I liked the idea of Indy stumbling into a situation that didn't involve a Nazi plot to dominate the planet with some Judeo-Christian artifact of unfathomable power. Personally, I don't buy into the supernatural world, so I don't really have any interest in putting it into my stories. It's cool in the Indy films (I even love great ghost stories, like The Shining, or alien stuff, like 2001 and Close Encounters), I'm not complaining...but, I would be just as interested in seeing Indy go after something that just sits there and does nothing! It's the whole journey-discovery aspect that I really love. That's what I love about archaeology, and that's what I want to capture in my own work. At any rate, I appreciate everyone's comments! Thank you!

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]