Re: The novels

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Nick Kismet from ppp-32-pm1-beaverton.spiretech.com on June 15, 1999 at 02:45:04:

In Reply to: Re: The novels posted by Mikal C Johnson (KtE Cym SOCAE) on June 14, 1999 at 19:11:20:

Rongo Rongo Tablets from Interior Earth really exist
The Philosophers Stone is more a concept than a relic...alchemist believed it was an element which could transmute gold,and grant eternal life, but there wasn't one particular STONE or relic that had that power in their belief system
Dinosaur Eggs obviously never found in viable state
The Thule Stone from Hollow Earth is sort of a variation on a theme from Norse mythology.
And the Omega Book from Sphinx is totally a fabrication.
The Omphalos in Peril at Delphi was also a fabrication, and never really mentioned in the history of the oracle as a source of the oracles visions, however, Omphalos (which means the navel of the world, or Axis Mundi) has always been associated with great power

I have found no mention of Sankara stones in any mythologies I have studied. Anyone else?
: Well, the Ark is/was real. There are mentions of the Israelites having such a sacred object in the histories of other nations. Not even the Bible attributes some of the qualities in the movie to it, though (and they got the physical desciption wrong).
: The Grail is a Medieval fiction. It's not in the Bible at all, and is NOT something most Christians believe in.
: Noah's Ark is also from the Bible. It's real to Jews, Christians, and Moslems.
: Uh... what else?
: Excalibur... probably not real.
: The Book of the Dead is from Egyptian religion.
: Aaron's rod is from the Torah... but it's supposedly inside the Ark of the Covenant and has no powers.
: Unicorn horns abound in Medieval folklore.
: Delphi is a real place and there are numerous Omphalos throughout the world.
: Stonehenge is real...
: Percy Fawcett (Seven Veils) was a real guy who disappeared in South America. The city is, I think, based on El Dorado, which is likely a fiction created to get the conquistadors to go away.
: Easter Island is real... so is the cave Indy went into.
: There IS a crystal skull... but not the one in the books. However, there is a legend that there is a second skull and that it has powers.
: I don't have my books handy, what am I missing?

: : Are all the artifacts, whatever that Indy goes after real? I know the Ark and grail are beleifs in religon, and the Thugees actually existed, but what about the books? Do the authors just make the stuff up?

: : Thanks.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]