Re: BULLWHIP ORDERING

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Dale Dassel from iax-minden-ppp0020.iamerica.net on April 20, 1998 at 18:34:49:

In Reply to: Re: BULLWHIP ORDERING posted by Michaelson on April 20, 1998 at 14:42:18:

: : Just to add what Dale said, when you first get your whip you will notice that the thong will have its own natural curve which is caused by the tightness and looseness of the braid. When you swing your whip out always try to have the whip roll out along that natural curve. Also while I might have mentioned it in another post, Its a good idea to grease a new whip with a good leather dressing before you use it. It will make the new whip more flexible as well as help protect the leather from any moisture that it may encounter. By the way the life span of the cracker will depend on how much the whip is used. While they are pretty easy to make, I normally recommend getting a few extra crackers when you order a new whip. If you have any other questions feel free to ask.

: David Morgan also responded to me regarding the fact that they will repair most braided goods besides their own, and have a "cracker" replacement service at $15.00 plus shipping for a whip. Regards. Michaelson

They also advertise a fall replacement service at $20 plus
shipping and mailing it via insured post. The cracker is easy enough to
replace if you use the instructions on David Morgan's website. I have
never changed a whip cracker in my life, but did it correctly on the
first try by following Mr. Morgan's instructions. It is likely that you
will not be able to make your new knot as small as David's, but he is an
expert whipmaker of many years experience. Besides, a bigger knot
holds the cracker on better. Now the fall is something that I would leave
in David Morgan's hand. Granted that falls don't need replaced if the
whip is properly used, but I wouldn't dare do an operation like that
on my prized bullwhip!!! The Whips and Whipmaking book give clear instructions,
but I'd leave it to the professionals. They know what they're doing.

-Dale

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]