Re: Question for all die-hard fans....

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rockhammer from 129.237.141.49 on June 15, 1999 at 14:11:58:

In Reply to: Re: Question for all die-hard fans.... posted by ROB T. on June 14, 1999 at 23:07:59:

: Ever since movies began there has been a hungry audience for adventure films. Douglas Fairbanks and Errol Flynn made their careers from them. Even westerns and sci-fi are just adventures set in a different time and place. The adventure genre pre-dates Indy and will outlive him.
: "The Mummy" is a good example and I've heard they are working on a Lara Croft movie.
: If a writer has talent and can bring something new to the table, he can have a career writing adventures. In fact, I think they are getting even more popular in this day and age when peoples real lives seem to be filled with less adventure and we long for a time when we could be a swashbuckling hero like Indy or Alan Quatermain or Zorro or Robin Hood.

Amen, brother!
As much as I love Indy, he's not the first adventurer out there, and won't be the last. If you talk to die-hard Doc Savage fans, they'll tell you Indy is a copy of Doc Savage. I diagree, but that's besides the point. The point is that if you think that anything that is adventure like from now on is a copy of Indiana Jones, you'd be reacting with that same attitude and you'd be as wrong as they are.
For some examples of classic adventure books, movies and magazines, check out a new update to my site, Rockhammer's Dig, under Other Sources in the RPG Adventures page.
http://rockhammersdig.webjump.com/adventures.htm
I could cover some examples here, but I want you to visit the Dig. Plenty of good books are recommended there, for that same old adventure feel. "Indy" feel if you prefer :)
If you have any additional suggestions to what I have written there, please make sure you let me know! I always love to get e-mail. If you prefer, you could always post a message to the Dig's forum too.

Rockhammer

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]