Re: The Exorcist (kinda off-topic)

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Shade from 98C88578.ipt.aol.com on June 15, 1999 at 22:51:17:

In Reply to: The Exorcist (kinda off-topic) posted by Rik Duel on June 15, 1999 at 15:58:37:

::: Just re-reading Shade's comments below on the supernatural, and he mentioned that he was into good ghost stories like The Shining. I just rewatched last night The Exorcist, and I really, really enjoyed it. :::

That was a cool one, wasn't it? I especially liked the subliminal shots of demonic faces that were thrown in. Actually, I guess they were more like shock-cuts, but they were done in such a subtle way that it was even more unsettling to have seen it. I hate it when movies linger on an image that's supposed to be frightening, because it's those fleeting 'did I just see that?' glimpses that really get me. Somehow, staring at the thing for more than a few seconds makes it more familiar, more real.

::: Of course, since I'm living alone at the moment I spent the night freaked out and jumping at shadows, but it's just such a powerful film. At it's core it's a very clearcut fight of good vs evil, and I really liked the play of the supernatural in this film.:::

That's the way I am about The Shining!!! That shot of the two little girls in the hallway is the single scariest film image I've ever seen, and I wind up looking over my shoulder, with the lights on, for the rest of the night!!! And another creepy thing about the movie -- I'm from Washington, DC, originally, and I visited the staircase used in the film when they shot scenes in Georgetown! I know it's just a movie, but it's very eerie being there.

::: And of course, the opening sequence with the priest at an archeological dig in Iraq put me in mind of Indy straightaway.:::

This is one of my favorite elements of the film, and that's also my only complaint about it; I wish they had shown more of that stuff! Oh, well.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]