Re: OK, last night I did it! All fedora owners read...

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Steve from ppp-45.COL.cableone.net on June 16, 1999 at 11:06:53:

In Reply to: OK, last night I did it! All fedora owners read... posted by David Zaritsky on June 16, 1999 at 10:14:59:

:
: Last night here in New Jersey the temperature came down to a crisp 55 degrees. This was my only window that I would have to wear both my new Herbert Johnson AND my Wested at the same time for perhaps the entire summer (we usually range in the 75 degree and up mark). So I told my wife I had to run out and pick up a few things, donned my hat and jacket and hopped in my car. I must admit I have never worn the two together and there was some trepidation as to the looks i might receive and any Indy comments I might over hear, after all this is New Jersey....I steadied myself as I pulled up to the outdoor outlets, gave a smart pull to the front of the fedora and proceeded to walk around for the next 40 minutes amidst the shoppers that were also enjoying the brisk night air. Did I receive double takes and stares, perhaps, but understand that I was so comfortable and felt so natural in my new 'diggs' that i didn't care. One outdoor cafe that is a very nice cigar bar as well beckoned to me and I sat down for a quick drink. Thats when it happened. A man in his 40s slowly came up to me, cigar in hand. Looked at me then looked at the hat. I steadied myself for some drunken wise ass comment...but none came. "Where'd you get your Herbert Johnson?" I just looked at him stunned. "From the shop in England," I stammered. Needless to sat this gentleman was a hat lover who owned over 12 Herbert Johnson hats of varied types. We struck up a conversation and he invited me to sit with his friends for a drink. Thirty minutes later I had to leave and so did he, as he slipped on his hat as well (not the Indy hat but a Herbert Johnson none the less).
: This is a true story and a wonderful introduction for me in wearing my Indy gear in public...very exciting...and I wanted to share it with the forum....
: David

Hey David I think thats great! I always wear my fedora when it cools off down here in the south. Although after reading Michaelson's post, I may try it again while it's hot just to see if I can handle it. And if I owned a Wested I know I would wear the two together once the cool weather started. I do own a L.L. Bean Flying Tigers goatskin jacket, and I wear it with my fedora all winter. After finally buying a home computer and discovering all the Indy sites, I have discovered alot of things that I didn't know concerning his garb, and I can assure you a Wested and a H.J. are on my shopping list. The way I see it, a fedora and leather jacket definetly compliment one another, and I plan on wearing them from here on out. If other people find it amusing, then so be it. I would certainly rather wear them as opposed to a baseball cap and what ever else is the current fashion. But then I never have been one to follow what the masses deem stylish. I am glad your first experience was positive, and all I can say is to wear what you like. Steve

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]