Re: Ark Clarification

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Mikal C Johnson (KtE Cym SOCAE) from spider-tj083.proxy.aol.com on June 18, 1999 at 09:07:48:

In Reply to: Re: Ark Clarification posted by Steve on June 17, 1999 at 15:10:58:

: : The Mercy Seat did indeed sit above the Ark, with angels on either end. You can check Exodus 25:21 to verify this.

I can't believe I said Bema Seat. Anyway, yes, that passage (25:17-22) says they are "at the ends of the cover... looking toward the cover... over the ark." This does sound like the cherubim could be on the cover ark.
I King 8:6, however, says that the priests brought the ark in and put it "beneath the wings of the cherubim." That suggests that they were separate.

: : I have not seen scripture to back up the position of the staves;
: : you'll have to send me the reference for that one.

This actually comes from sources outside the Bible. The ark is generally believed to have been similar Egyptian chests.

: I was under the impression that the poles were removed when the Ark was put in it's final resting place. They were not necessay at this point since the Hebrews were no longer nomadic, having found the promise land. Steve

I Kings 8:8 and II Chronicles 5:9 mention the poles being visible outside the Holy Place because of their length.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]