Re: Hot weather.....and fedoras

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by red four from oak-ts1-h1-48-142.ispmodems.net on June 19, 1999 at 22:24:51:

In Reply to: Hot weather.....and fedoras posted by Steve on June 16, 1999 at 09:56:43:

: Hey, does anyone out there wear their fedoras in the summer? I have to admit that I retire mine until autumn comes around. (and I hate doing it!) Down here in the south the heat and humidity is just too much for me. My main hat now is a Stetson Markham, totally reshaped into the fedora style, and with the brim cut down to the proper dimensions. It looks like Indy's fedora, only in the straw that Panamas are constructed of. I had to alter this hat because I have been unable to find a fedora in straw that has a wide enough brim. Steve

I wear my Stetson Nostalgia to work everyday. I manage a county park that offers fishing hiking, etc., so I'm outside all day sunrise to sunset. I don't feel the hat is too warm, actually I used to wear an oilskin hat, and I feel the felt is cooler than the oilskin. I'm trying not to get skin cancer before I'm thirty, so I wear my fedora and my long sleeved LL Bean khaki field shirt for protection from the sun. Wish I had started this habit years ago, I already look like I'm about thirty-five or forty from all the sun I've had (no one take offense, I'm not saying forty is old, this is a stern warning for the youngsters. Besides, it wouldn't make sense for me to put down an age that I look, right? :-)> )

I guess what I'm saying is I wear my hat more in the hot weather because it means a longer workday for me. Also, the heat sucks if you're wearing a hat or not.

John D

PS Another excellent shirt for hot weather is the Feather Cloth shirt by Filson. It comes in several colors and is light enough to wear in the summer with the sleeves rolled down. I've had one for a while and really like it. Its even got Indy style bellows pockets.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]