SWOTL! (OT)

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Mark Indy from user-33qt823.dialup.mindspring.com on June 20, 1999 at 08:37:54:

In Reply to: Re: Flying Wings(Gothas and Hortens and etc)... posted by Michael on June 19, 1999 at 23:55:54:

: well, flying wings were always under development, but none were ever used opertaionally by the germans. the closest they got was with some gliders developed by Horten. these would have evntually been given jet engines and manufactered by Gotha, but this never happened since the factories were overrun in 1945. but in the timeframe of the movie, no flying wings would of been anywhere close to deployment....

: and to think i learned all of this
: playing a lucas game (secret weapons
: of the luftwaffe)...

: Michael

Hehe, you played that too? Ahh... memories. : ) It must have been right around the time of Zak McKracken and Maniac Mansion too!

In regards to the flying wing, the jet-powered Go-229 would have been the ultimate development of the concept, but the half-assembled prototype got overrun by the Americans and shipped-off Stateside. That's where the idea for the Northrop flying wings and, by extension, the B-2 stealth bomber came from.

I have a very old program about Lucas tape-recorded somewhere with the big three (Lucas, Spielberg, and Kaufman) discussing how the idea for Raiders came about. Apparently, each contributed ideas they wanted to do... I can't remember who said what, but one always wanted to have a guy running away from a giant boulder in one of their movies, and somebody else always wanted to do a flying wing. If I can find it I'll post the whole story.

Regards,
Mark

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL: