Your story was so sweet!!! I loved reading it!! Just thought I would tell you that. NM

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Meg from spider-tr074.proxy.aol.com on June 23, 1999 at 22:29:17:

In Reply to: The first time I saw "Raiders." posted by ROB T. on June 23, 1999 at 22:11:39:

: Tuesday night I saw a trailer for "Raiders" at the Englewood in preparation for their showing of it in July and it got me to thinking about the first time I saw the movie. I thought I'd tell you about it.
: I was sixteen in 1981 and the first time I heard any news about "Raiders" I was not impressed. The title sounded silly; "Raiders of the Lost Ark?" What does that mean? Then when I heard it starred Harrison Ford I was even less impressed. He wasn't really a star yet and was only known for "Star Wars." For some reason I didn't see the guy who played Han Solo as being tough enough to play an adventurer.
: But then I read an article about the making of "Raiders" in one of those sci-fi magazines and it seemed like it could be interesting. I spotted the novel at the bookstore and read it over the weekend and I was hooked.
: So opening weekend, my mother, my sister and I went to Independence Center Cinema to see "Raiders."
: The theatre was about half-full and I remember thinking that I probably knew more about this film than anyone else there since I'd already read the novel but even I was not expecting the masterpiece we would see that day.
: By the time the opening sequence ended with a roar of laughter from the crowd over Jock's remark to Indy, my heart was racing.
: The thing that first strikes me when I see "Raiders" in a theatre as opposed to video is the sound effects. Spielberg's films always have the best sound; Jock's engine roaring to life, the snap of Indy's whip, the explosion of Barranca's gun when it falls to the ground, the maelstrom of crashing rocks and whizzing darts as all hell breaks loose in the temple. When you add in John Williams' incredible score there's nothing else like the experience of seeing this film on a big screen.
: I was surprised at the humor in the film; the crowd nearly wet our pants when Indy shot the Arab swordsman.
: I've seen "Raiders" in a theatre at least twenty times and I never tire of it. It's one of the few films that plays flawlessly. There's not one wasted line of dialogue or one extraneous scene. In the intervening years I've found mistakes in the film; continuity errors, minor film flubs and things that can't stand up to close inspection. But that day I didn't see any flaws at all.
: By the time I left the theatre that Saturday I was transformed.
: I went home and read the novel again and by the end of the summer I saw the movie ten times and read the novel ten times. I bought the illustrated screenplay and read that ten times. I got the soundtrack and played it everyday. I had the poster on my wall and bought the trading cards.
: In the years since, Indiana Jones, Marion Ravenwood, Sallah, Belloq, Marcus and even Toht have become an important part of my life.

: I'd love to hear about the first time the rest of you were introduced to Indiana Jones and his adventures.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]