A valid point

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by graml from 137.155.51.204 on June 24, 1999 at 07:26:40:

In Reply to: An observation about Belloq...Input appreciated. posted by ROB T. on June 24, 1999 at 03:52:58:

: I need your opinions about this.
: The way I understand it, the events at the beginning of "Raiders" in South America happened very close to the events in the rest of the film (within a few days) so I'm confused about the continuity in the Belloq character. Here's what I'm getting at.
: Marcus comes into Indy's class to tell him that the Army guys want to talk to him. Correct me if I'm wrong but this is the first time Indy and Marcus have seen each other since Indy got back from S. America and Indy's attitude implies that he's only been back a couple of days at most.
: When we later see the Tannis development it clearly seems to have been around for months. When Belloq and Deitrich are talking about the communique they sent to Berlin (the one the Army guys read to Indy and Marcus) Deitrich says that they sent the telegram based on Belloq's assurances that they were close to finding the Ark. This implies that Belloq has been at the site for quite some time, maybe since they first started to dig. So how did he get time off to go chasing after the fertility God in South America?
: This is all based on assumption and we know what thats worth but think back to the conversation between Belloq and Deitrich on the morning that the Ark is found.
: Belloq... I told you not to be premature in your communique to Berlin.
: Archeology is not an exact science. It does not deal in time
: schedules.
: Deitrich. The Fuhrer is not a patient man. He demands constant reports
: You led me to believe...
: Belloq... Nothing. I made no promises.

: This is the part I'm talking about. If Belloq has been in Egypt for months (and it seems that he has) than how could he be in South America just a few days earlier?

: I'd really like some input on this. Am I missing something or is this an error nobodies noticed?

Hey. I admit, I've seen "Raiders" a dozen times, and I never noticed
that. Maybe Belloq served simply as an advisor to the Nazis and didn't
take much part in the Tannis dig. Indy says that Belloq can only unload the
idol in Marakesh, so maybe since Belloq was in North Africa (selling off
the idol), he went on to Tannis to oversee the dig. This is my personal
theory, which is open to criticism. Not too much criticism, however.
I'd like to see what other folks' theories are. My two cents.
-graml

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]