IMDB Lost Continent Lost!

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Micah from cc85701-a.hwrd1.md.home.com on June 24, 1999 at 17:41:16:

...and it's probably my fault.

Although they never responded to my email, the entry disappeared after I sent them this email:

To: IMDB Team
Subject: Policy on rumored films
Date: June 11, 1999

I am the author of a website for fans of Indiana Jones, Indyfan.com,
and I am constantly trying to bring people who have seen your entry for Indiana Jones and the Lost Continent back to reality.

It's my belief that several press releases, newspapers, etc. have also been victim to this misinformation giving further credence to it.

You may be thinking that this is the wrong forum for this complaint, but I think it's a greater problem than this one entry. The fact is that IMDB is based on the input of many. In general, there is an iterative process which ultimately arrives at the facts. However, when all is rumor, as in the case of Indy IV, there are no corrections
to be made as there are few facts to speak of.

My problem is that many are convinced that there will be a movie called Indiana Jones and the Lost Continent released in 2001 solely based on your entry. Unless you are priviledged to some insider information, the title and timing are unknown. Admittedly, your entry is one possibility, but I think it should be more obvious that all the information is based on rumor.

I urge you to put some kind of obvious disclaimer on rumor-based
information to separate it from your accurate entries on released movies, to promote healthy skepticism where it is due and protect your reputation from being soiled when rumors don't pan out.

Thank you,
Micah Johnson (indy@indyfan.com)

---------

This may be a case of throwing the baby out with the bathwater. I didn't intend for them to delete the entry, but maybe the way they organize movies, by title and date, just isn't feasible for a movie in the current predicament that Indy IV is in.

Any ideas on how to handle this?

Thanks,
Micah

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: