Re: A question regarding Indy's career

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Michaelson from em12-686.utsi.edu on June 25, 1999 at 10:07:14:

In Reply to: A question regarding Indy's career posted by graml on June 25, 1999 at 09:37:36:

: My fellow Indy pundits,
: In "Raiders", Indy instructs his class that "X never marks the spot."
: And yet, in "Last Crusade" the X does mark the spot of the knight's
: tomb. Maybe after that incident, he stopped using that lecture he
: gave in "Raiders." I'm just wondering if anyone else ever caught
: that.
: Seriously, though. I'm sure all of you know that I have nothing but
: the utmost respect for the character of Indiana Jones, but he doesn't
: quite seem like professor-caliber material to me. He's disorganized
: at best, his lectures (at least from the movies) seem like rambling
: affairs that go beyond the usual 50-60 minute class times, and he
: kind of mumbles. And then, rather than sort out his student problems,
: he jumps out a window. Its been my experience that college professors like this often have trouble filling classes. Any suggestions
: on why Professor Jones is so well liked? (I'm sure Indyfans of the female persuasion will have no trouble coming up with theories...)
: Maybe Indy should have gotten a job with National Geographic rather than with a university. Anyhow, thanks for your time.
: -graml

: PS I'd like to go on record here that NONE of my college professors
: ever went through a window. Although one obviously had a drinking problem... but that's another story entirely. Believe me.

Well, maybe the current crop of professors are not like that, but back at Ohio State in the early 70's I had a geology professor that was EXACTLY like Indy in his classroom vs. field personality. And I personally observed him bailing out his office window one bright Fall morning to escape a faculty meeting scheduled that day. Why did people sign up for their classes? If the course was required, and this professor was the tops in his field, more than likely it was required for your major and you couldn't dodge taking his class. Until the late 70's most colleges would catalog the courses being offered, but never the professor's name who was teaching the course. You found out who it was when you and or he/she walked in the door the first class. You were allowed to drop the course, but you could not add a new one under a separate section number until the next semester. Therefore you just toughed it out. Good question, and one we recently discussed here at my univerisity in a recent class. Regards. Michaelson

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]