Re: Indiana: man's best friend?

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by The Man with the Hat from port137.maxc03.bignet.net on June 25, 1999 at 13:45:57:

In Reply to: Indiana: man's best friend? posted by Deirdre on June 25, 1999 at 08:56:36:

: Hi!

: It seems that everybody knows about this, except me... there's been enough mention of it in the movies, in the books and even in this forum. I heard, I read and digested all that gossip about Indiana getting his nickname from a dog, but not just any dog... a dog close to his "heart".

:

Mark Twain (1835-1910):
:
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between a dog and a man."

:

: What I would like to know is: The real (the whole) story. What really happened? Where did he meet this "dog"? Whose was it? How did it die (it DID die, didn't it?)? and whether it was a female dog or a male dog. Did they have this really romantic lovestory type of story, did Indy dump the dog/ or viceversa... did they swear their eternal love to each other, wherein Indy promised to hold true the dog's name and actually be nicknamed after him/her?

: I need clarifications... fast!!!

:
:

Deirdre Campbell

:

: ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
: ~~~~
: ~~~~~~~`
:
: "Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read."
--Groucho Marx

: "Cats are smarter than dogs. You can't get eight cats to pull a sled through snow." --Jeff Valdez
:

: "I loathe people who keep dogs. They are cowards who haven't got the guts to bite people themselves." August Strindberg
:
: "Yesterday I was a dog. Today I'm a dog. Tomorrow I'll probably still be a dog. Sigh! There's so little hope for advancement."
--Snoopy

: :)

The dog in question was based on George Lucas' dog, Indiana which was female. Indy'a dog was still living in 1916, because Indy asked his dad in a letter to take of Indiana when he joined the Mexican Revolution in "Curse of the Jackyl". But strangely, in on of the Young Indy young adult books, which take place between 1911 and 1914, Indy says he took the name Indiana to honor his dog who died saving Indy fron a rattle snake. We saw that the canine Indiana was still alive in 1912 when Indy lived in Utah in "Last Crusade". And, no, there was nothing romantic between the dog and Indy! That's how rumours start!!

See ya,

The Man with the Hat

"Fortune and Glory, Kid. Fortune and Glory."

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: