Indiana Jones and the Gorgon's Skull (A Very Short Story)

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by The Man with the Hat from port131.maxc03.bignet.net on June 26, 1999 at 07:52:09:

I felt like writing this morning so I wrote this short story. I hope you all enjoy!!

Greece 1937
Indiana Jones stepped down from his horse as the sun was just rising over the mountain.
He stood in front of a cave; the cave he had been digging in for three days. So far, it had yeilded nothing but blisters on Indy's hands. If he didn't find something today, he would be forced to go back to Barnett College a failure.
That was not an option!
Indy entered the cave, which was really two caves in one, and his eyes adjusted quickly to the dimness. He lit a torch, then walked past what Indy had deemed the "Hall of Statues, a collection of seemingly random placed sculptures in various poses. He was always in awe of how life-like they were.
The morning was going well. He was off to an early start, and there had been no sign of Alexandre Stephanopolos. The Greek archaeologist had a bad reputation of stealing other's discoveries, and he has been dogging Indy since he had arrived in Greece.
Indy now entered the rear cave. There was only one section that had been untouched and that was the area Indy would concentrate on today. He walked to the rear corner, put the torch in a holder, and began digging.
For hours, it seemed, Indy dug with no success, when finally, he was rewarded with the sound of his shovel hitting a solid object.
Indy cleared away the edges, and saw that there was writing on the flat stone. Ancient Greek.
"Surrender your soul,"Indy read,"all Ye who dare defile the tomb of Perseus!"
"The obligatory curse" Indy said outloud as he removed a small prybar from his bag. He pried along several locations on the top of what appeared to be a crypt. A hiss and the lid popped free. With bicep muscles bulging, Indy lifted the stone capper and flipped it so that it leaned against the wall.
There, where it had laid for over three-thousand years, was the skeleton of the Greek hero, Perseus. Lying along one side was a razor sharp sword, and on his cheat was a shield that reflected like a mirror. The feet of the skeleton wore winged sandals, and between the feet was a large leather bag.
Indy took the shield from the body, to get a better look, and leaned it against the wall.
Next, he took the bag from between Perseus' feet. Curiosity, as usual, was getting the best of him!
Indy sat the bag on the ground, and slowly slipped the leather from around it.
The first thing Indy saw was the head of a snake, and he jumped back. Then realizing that it was just the skeleton of a snake, long dead, he smirked at the absurdity of his fear.
He pulled the snake skeleton gingerly from the bag, and found many more all attached to a hideous, deformed skull.
He dropped the skull in fear, then put his hankerchief over it.
"Back to work," he said, turning away from the gruesome sight.
Indy grabbed the sword, which immediately drew blood.
"Damn!" Indy said, holding his sliced hand. "This doesn't seem to be my day!"
Indy reached for the hankerchief to stop the bleeding.
A single drop of blood fell on the Gorgon's skull!
Indy turned back to the task at hand. He examined the shoes, which supposedly made Perseus invisible. If they did, they weren't working now.
Suddenly, Indy heard a hiss, which immediately caught his attention.
In the reflection of the shield, Indy saw the most terrifying thing he had ever witnessed.
The ugly, reptilian creature stood above Indy, the serpents on her head slithering and hissing!
With lightning reflexes, Indy grabbed the sword and swung it. Indy watched in the shield as the creature's head was separated from it's body.
Indy breathed heavily, as he put the head back in the bag, taking great care to not look upon the face of Medusa.
Indy had to take the Gorgon's head somewhere, and although he didn't know where, he rose to exit the cave.
"I can get the rest of my stuff, later," Indy said as he walked through the "Hall of Statues." From behind a statue stepped a man with a gun.
"Alexandre," Indy said.
"You are quite persistant," Stephanopolos said.
"I try."
"What's in the bag, Jones?"
Indy said,"You don't want to know."
"I assure you, Dr. Jones," Stephanopolos said, taking the bag from Indy. "I do."
Stephanopolos opened the bag and pulled the head from the bag.
He screamed as his skin turned to stone and the blood thickened in his veins.
Indy walked out of the cave without the skull, mounted his horse, and headed back to Athens.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]