Good title...The Quest for Goliath's Sword it is then (and here's the novel without italics!)

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Tessa from spider-we044.proxy.aol.com on June 26, 1999 at 19:57:57:

In Reply to: Indiana Jones and the Quest for Goliath's Sword (?) chapters 9 and 10 posted by The Man with the Hat. on June 26, 1999 at 19:49:21:

: : : Ok, this is what is done so far by me and Mr. Clark. Now, the next person chooses the title and writes the next chapter or two.. Tessa

: : : December 1969
: : : Chapter 1
: : : Indiana Jones was settled in a house on the campus of Barnett College, drinking a glass of brandy and staring out of the window. He was looking at his watch and then at the clock in the hallway and thought,Damn it, it’s after one o’clock, where in the hell is she?. He put down the glass and paced in the hallway. He then stopped to look a picture on one of the tables and picked it up, a sad look in his eyes. Six months. Our first Christmas without Kate, as he felt the tears run down his cheeks.
: : : Kate had died of cancer in June, about a week after his sons’ graduation from high school and Indy’s appointment of president of the college. Indy was the out who found her in their bed, unable to wake her. He kept replaying the scene in his head, his furious attempts to save her, and then hearing the doctor’s news. He could not bear living in the house they shared and gladly accepted the house on campus, which he shared with his youngest child, Lauren.
: : : With his sons gone from the house for college, Indy was left alone with Lauren, his sixteen-year old daughter. She had turned into a reckless young woman after Kate’s death. She started staying out late with guys Indy didn’t like, and kept to herself in her room. She’s acting the same way I did when I lost my mother, Indy remembered as he heard the front door slam. He got up and saw Lauren taking off her shoes and walking up the stairs, “Lauren Marie, do you realize what time it is?”
: : : Lauren stopped and looked at her father, “Didn’t think you’d be up.”
: : : Lauren was still a spitting image of himself – brownish hair that cascaded down her back, tall and slim, and Kate’s bright blue eyes – and astonished him sometimes. She stood there, her arms crossed and her face heavily made up, “What’s my punishment?” she asked.
: : : “Just go to bed and we’ll discuss it in the morning,” sternly, “Now!”
: : : Lauren went up the stairs to her room, slammed the door as Indy sighed and poured himself another drink. He grabbed Kate’s picture again and asked it, “What am I going to do with her?”
: : : Indy gulped down his drink and headed off to bed.

: : : Chapter 2
: : : Indy was up six hours later, dressed in a suit and finishing up his coffee. Lauren walked into the kitchen, dressed in a white long sleeved blouse, a fringed vest and bell bottomed jeans, and headed for the refrigerator, muttering, “Morning, Henry.”
: : : “I am your father, Lauren. You don’t call me Henry or Indy or anything else besides Dad.”
: : : “Uh-huh” as she pulled the container of orange juice out and poured some in a glass.
: : : “Lauren, about this morning…”
: : : “Yeah?” staring at him.
: : : “You’re grounded.”
: : : “Why?”
: : : “You know why,” growling at her, “Your curfew is at eleven.”
: : : “But most of my friends don’t have to be home until 12 or 1.”
: : : “I don’t give a damn, Lauren,” as he put the cup in the sink, “You’re my daughter.”
: : : “So?”
: : : “So, as long as you live here, you obey my rules, got that?”
: : : Lauren said under her breath, “I’m glad I’ll be gone in two years.”
: : : “Furthermore, you’re grounded. No more dates or going anywhere for the next two weeks.”
: : : “But there’s a concert this weekend, Henry…”
: : : “And you’re not going and stop calling me Henry.”
: : : “Yes, Fuhrer”, she spat in German, grabbed her books and left, slamming the door behind her.
: : : Indy winced when she slammed the door and the name she called him. To think I’ve faced his men and now my own daughter is calling me him, he thought as he left for the day.

: : : Later in his office, his secretary buzzed him and said, “Dr. Jones?”
: : : “Yes, Miss Atherson?”
: : : “There are government officials out here.”
: : : Government? ,Indy thought as he said, “Show them in.”
: : : He stood up as two men came in and one of them said, “Dr. Jones?”
: : : “Yes.”
: : : “My name is Adam Wilson, and this is Konstantios Pappas,” indicting the man with Mediterrian features, “We’re the ambassadors of Greece.”
: : : “What can I do for you gentleman?”
: : : “We have heard about your many expeditions for artifacts, Dr. Jones. One of them being the Omphalos from Delphi,” Pappas replied.
: : : “That was a long time ago.”
: : : “We have a business proposition for you.”
: : : “What kind of business?”
: : : “We are organizing a team of archeologists to go on a dig on Crete to find artifacts of Greek mythology,” Wilson replied.
: : : “I have retired a long time ago,” Indy replied.
: : : “We understand, but we were hoping since you have been expert on mythology and the occult that you can supervise the dig.”
: : : “What exactly are you looking for?”
: : : “We’re uncertain, but we have reasons to believe that there is some sort of power in Crete.”
: : : “What kind of power?”
: : : “That’s what we need you to find out.”
: : : Indy pondered the idea. It was a long time since he had gotten into fieldwork and would have jumped at the chance to do it. But things were different now, he was a widower with a rebellious teenager.
: : : “We would fund the expedition and any accommodations you would need.”
: : : On second thought, Indy realized, maybe it would be a good thing and said, “I do have one request.”
: : : “Name it.”
: : : “I want my daughter to come along as well.”

: : :
: : : Chapter 3
: : : Lauren was sitting in her father’s study, smoking a cigarette and listening to music while trying to study. She didn’t bother looking up when her father entered, took the cigarette from her hand and put it out.
: : : “Hey,” Lauren yelled, “I wasn’t finished.”
: : : “Yes, you were,” as he turned off the stereo and said, “How can you study with that noise?”
: : : “Easy,” as she continued reading her history book.
: : : “Put down the book, Lauren.”
: : : Now what?, she wondered as she put the book down.
: : : “I was approached by some government officials to lead a dig in Crete as soon as Christmas break starts next week. And I’m going”
: : : “Have a blast,” as she got up, “I have to go to my room.”
: : : “Not so fast, Lauren,” Indy said to her, ‘You’re going too.”
: : : “I’m what?” as she stared at him.
: : : “You’re going to go with me to Crete.”
: : : “I don’t care about archeology, Henry,” crossing her arms.
: : : “Stop calling me Henry,” sternly as he went to her, “This will teach you some responsibility.”
: : : “I don’t need responsibility,” stubbornly.
: : : “You’ve been acting like a little hellion, not caring what happens to you or what you want in your life.”
: : : “So what?”
: : : “You’re going, Lauren Marie. Got that?”
: : : “You don’t trust me to stay here?” accusingly.
: : : Indy stood up and walked to the door, “After your behavior the past few months, no. You’re going, whether you like it or not.”
: : : “Fine,” she said angrily, “but don’t expect any bonding, Dad.”

: : : Chapter 4
: : : Indy and Lauren Jones made their way into the airport. Lauren walked the lobby and carried her purse on wrist, while her father trudged ahead with bags for both in tow. Indy was starting to feel very 70.
: : : "Did you pack a man to come with us?"
: : : "Very funny, Henry," his daughter bit out, as she searched for the baggage drop off. "Can I help it if you're a senior citizen?"
: : : "At least you're not calling me 'junior,'" Indy mumbled.
: : : "What?"
: : : "I said, 'HERE!'" With that, Indy flung his daughter's bag into Lauren's unprepared arms, knocking her on her butt, as Indy checked the gate number on their tickets.
: : : Lauren was shocked and uphalled. "You . . . how could you?"
: : : Indy spotted Adam Wilson coming back from parking the car. He turned to meet him, then paused and looked at Lauren over his shoulder. His glance was filled with love for her, and at first was remorseful. Then he hardened and replied, "Nobody likes your whining. Come on."
: : : The trio was at the foot of the steps into the plane.
: : : Adam Wilson shook Indy's hand. "I can't say how delighted I am to know the dig will be in your hands. Thank you for heading this up."
: : : "My pleasure, Mr. Wilson." The plane was just finishing boarding. Lauren began up the walkway without her father. Indy chucked a thumb behind him; "I better be going. Good day."
: : : Indy began up the walkway as Mr. Wilson shouted at him over the noise of the aircraft's engines. "The materials I gave you should bring you up to speed!"
: : : Indy nodded and smiled over his shoulder.
: : : "Dr. Jones! One more thing I forgot to mention to you!"
: : : Indy found himself being pushed up the steps as the last passengers made their way up behind him. "WHAT?"
: : : Mr. Wilson shouted even louder. "I SAID, I forgot to tell you something! When you get to Crete, you must look for the current leading archeologist at the site. His name is James Donovan!"
: : : Indy's face went ashen as he lost sight of Mr. Wilson and stumbled into the plane.

: : : Chapter 5
: : : Lauren had conveniently switched seating assignments, so she could sit by the window. As much as Indy relished the window seat, he decided not to press the point and sat down next to his daughter. Lauren had put on her round sunglasses and was already feigning sleep with the seat reclined.
: : : Oh, I'm just gonna love this trip, Indy thought.
: : : A few hours later, they were over the Atlantic. Lauren had actually fallen asleep, and now awoke to a little turbulence. She looked over at her father. Seat back, fedora tilted forward over his eyes and snoozing soundly. That figured. He can sleep through this, and she can't. It was not fair. None of this was fair! Dragging me off to who knows where, showing no trust in me whatsoever.
: : : Lauren looked out the window and saw scattered puffed clouds below, blotching the endless, shimmering, blue of the great ocean.
: : : "Beautiful . . ." she whispered to herself.
: : : Lauren stared out the window for about twenty minutes, then promptly regained her earlier sense of betrayal. She thought of Dad not trusting her, ruining her plans for Christmas break, and forcing her to spend it somewhere she did NOT want to be.
: : : Oh, I'm just gonna love this trip, Lauren thought.

: : : Chapter 6
: : : Lauren and Indy arrived Crete by the end of the day. A young man, about twenty-five, was waiting on the airstrip and greeted them,
: : : “Dr. Jones, welcome to Crete!” as he shook hands with Indy, “I am Jason Mathers, Mr. Donovan’s assistant.”
: : : “Thank you,” as he looked at Lauren and said, “This is my daughter, Lauren.”
: : : “Welcome, Lauren,” as he attempted to kiss her hand. She pushed it away and said, “Get your paws off me.”
: : : Indy turned red as Jason remarked; “She is a feisty one, isn’t she?”
: : : “That’s not half of it.”
: : : “Come on, Mr. Donovan told me to show you around the camp. We only have one tent for you and your daughter, is that alright?”
: : : “Fine,” as Lauren’s eyes widened at Indy and said, “I’d rather sleep outdoors.”
: : : “Lauren, you’re already in hot water. Don’t push it.”
: : : In a huff, Lauren grabbed her bags and walked off the airstrip. Indy shook his head and said to Jason,
: : : “I apologize for my daughter's rudeness, Mr. Mathers…”
: : : “Jason, please you don’t have to.”
: : : “Actually, you should know,” Indy said as they walked towards the waiting car, “My wife died of a long illness in June. Ever since then and my sons leaving for college, Lauren’s been lashing out at people.”
: : : “It’s hard to lose a parent, Dr. Jones,” Jason commented, “but she’ll come around.”
: : : I hope so, as they approached the truck and saw Lauren smoking a cigarette. Indy sighed, took the cigarette, and stubbed it out. Lauren gave her father a dirty look, climbed into the back of the jeep and stared straight ahead.
: : : “So,” Indy said, “how did you come about this expedition, Jason?”
: : : “I am a third-year student in the Ph.D. department at the University of London for archeology,” he replied.
: : : “Ah, and Mr. Donovan teaches there as well?”
: : : “Yes, he’s my advisor, my mentor…”
: : : “When are we going to get there?” Lauren demanded.
: : : “Patience, Miss Jones,” Jason remarked, “Didn’t your father teach you that?”
: : : “Did yours?” she said sarcastically.
: : : Jason brushed the comment aside and said, “We should be there in fifteen minutes. And I will help you with your bags.”
: : : “Thanks,” smiling at the man, “and call me Indy.”

: : : Chapter 7
: : : Lauren lay awake in her sleeping bag, Why am I even here? she wondered. She glanced at her father, who was snoring, and then got up. She quickly got dressed and left the tent quietly.
: : : Lauren walked around the camp and saw tents darkened with everyone asleep. She reached the edge of camp, sat down on the ground, and stared out at the scene. She lit a cigarette, took a puff, and realized,I wouldn’t be here if Mom was alive. She pulled out a flask of brandy from her pocket along with a picture. She thumbed it a bit and stared at it – it was her favorite picture of her mother, smiling with Lauren at her graduation from junior high almost three years ago. She put the picture down on the ground, opened the flask, and said, “Here’s to you, Mom,” and took a shot of brandy.
: : : “Drinking won’t solve your troubles,” said a voice.
: : : Lauren turned around, saw Jason and asked, “How the hell would you know?”
: : : “I lost my parents when I was sixteen. A car crash in London.”
: : : “I see,” as she took a drag of her cigarette and Jason asked, “What else has Dad told you?”
: : : “Nothing else I haven’t noticed,” as he looked at her, “Mind if I sit down?”
: : : “It’s a free country,” not looking up.
: : : Jason sat down and looked at this girl. She was beautiful, he realized, but she has a heart of ice. He sighed and asked,
: : : “How old are you, Lauren?”
: : : “Sixteen,” as she stubbed her cigarette butt out, “what’s it to you?”
: : : “Trying to make conversation,” as she got up. She looked at him and said, “Look, Jason", she sneered. If you’re just acting as my baby-sitter to please my father, I’d stop right now.”
: : : Lauren stomped back to camp as Jason followed her, grabbed her arm, and said, “I’m not your baby-sitter, but you have manners of a wild boar!”
: : : “And you’re Mr. High-and-Mighty when it comes to yours.”
: : : Jason turned her around and said, “Look there, we’re here for at least two weeks, maybe more, I’d suggest we try to get along.”
: : : “Sure,” as she let go of his grasp and said, “When pigs fly!” as she climbed back into her tent.
: : : Jason shook his head and thought,Women, can’t live without them, can’t live with them.

: : : Chapter 8
: : : Indy woke up to the smell of smoke and turned and saw his daughter smoking a cigarette. He groaned and said,
: : : “That stuff will kill you.”
: : : “Why would you care?” Lauren said absentmindedly.
: : : “I am your father, Lauren.”
: : : “The thought did came to pass,” as she finished the cigarette.
: : : Indy got up and dressed as he thought, Damn it, why does she hate me? He finished dressing as a man in his mid to late thirties came into the tent and said, “Dr. Jones.”
: : : “Yes?” facing the man.
: : : “I am James Donovan, welcome to Crete.”
: : : Indy shook the offered hand as James said, “Do not be cautious, Dr. Jones. What you had with my father, is in the past.”
: : : Indy thought back to several decades before when Walter, James’s father, died when drinking the false Grail. He was a Nazi sympathizer and a spy and almost killed Indy’s father. Indy looked at the man and said, “I certainly hope so.”
: : : James noticed Lauren in the corner of the tent, “And this is your daughter?”
: : : “My youngest child, Lauren.”
: : : “A pleasure, Miss Jones,” James said to her.
: : : “Yeah, yeah,” as she lit another cigarette and took a long drag.
: : : “Well,” looking at Indy, “we should get started.”
: : : “What exactly are you looking for, James?”
: : : “The Sword of Goliath?”
: : : “The giant that David slew?”
: : : “The very same. It is said that one who had possesses a great power.”
: : : “Hold up, here,” Lauren said, “This is the giant from the Bible?”
: : : “I didn’t know you took an interest in archeology, Miss Jones?”
: : : “I don’t,” as she stood up and stubbed out the cigarette with her boot, “My mother had me in Bible classes when I was five.”
: : : “Yes, well,” James said, “It is said one who possesses the sword, can achieve great success in life.”
: : : “And what is your purpose of this?”
: : : “Merely, archeological purposes of course,” as he started to leave, “I will be at the site, which is on the east side of camp. You can join me when you’re ready.”
: : : “What about my daughter?”
: : : “She’s welcomed to come along and be your assistant,” as he left, “I’ll see you at the site.”
: : : Indy nodded as he put on his fedora and put a satchel over his shoulder. He looked at his daughter, “Come on.”
: : : “Do I have to?”
: : : “You’ll learn something.”
: : : Lauren got up and Indy asked, “Are you going to change?”
: : : “No,” roughly, tugging on her army pants and olive-green tank top, and followed her father to the campsite.

: Chapter 9

: The digsite was abuzz with activity. Several Greek diggers, naked to the waist, dug a hole about four feet deep. Others searched through mounds of dirt, while still others documented findings of any small trinket uncovered. Donovan sat in a tall chair overseeing the progress as Indy and Lauren walked up.
: "Boy, you're not kidding, are you?" Indy said.
: "I, like my father before me, have a passion for antiquities."
: Indy said,"I'd say it goes way beyond 'passion'."
: "When my father died," he began, "he left my family with nearly nothing."
: "He looked pretty well off to me," Indy said.
: "And he was in debt up to his eyeballs. He'd spent nearly his whole fortune on his quest for the Holy Grail."
: "That's the funny thing about fortune and glory, Mr. Donovan," Indy said. "Sometimes, you can only have one or the other."

: Chapter 10

: Indy sat in his tent, reading the bible that Donovan had provided. As much as he looked, he could find nothing about Goliath's sword having any magical properties. He took off his glasses and rubbed the bridge of his nose with his fingers. He laid back and closed his eyes when he heard a commotion. Donovan entered the tent with Lauren in tow.
: "Good afternoon, Dr. Jones," Donovan said. "I've just been showing your daughter some of the glorious contryside."
: Donovan tipped his hat, and turned to leave.
: "Mr. Donovan, if I may speak to you for a moment," Indy said.
: "Please call me James," he said. "And I assure you that it was an innocent walk in the country."
: Indy was taken aback. "No...No... That's not it."
: "Then..." Donovan said.
: "Ive just been looking over the scriptures," Indy said. " I can't find anything about the sword being special."
: "And you won't."
: "Excuse me?" Indy said, confused.
: "Because that's not the source. Follow me."
: Donovan left the tent, followed by Indy, with Lauren tagging along behind. Past themess and the W.C., they entered a tent about twice the size of Indy's. Laid out on a folding table were dozens of copper scrolls.
: "This is where we got our information," Donovan said. "Remnants from the tomb of David."

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]