Oops, I meant chapters 13-15 (nm)

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Tessa from 138.87.169.47 on July 02, 1999 at 06:36:10:

In Reply to: Indiana Jones and The Aztec Spear (chapters 12-14) by Deirdre and Tessa posted by Tessa on July 02, 1999 at 06:35:20:

: Chapter 12

: "It's beautiful." Lauren shouted over the roar of the helicopter, a Sikorsky S-67 ,as the volcano came into full focus. There were only three people allowed on board. The first batch had consisted of her two brothers and the pilot, who'd brought them to the base of Popocatepl and had come back for Lauren and her father, after a couple of hours to bring them back to the same location.

: Indy who was seated before her pointed to the center of the volcano crater of the steep-sided volcanic cone. "Look!"

: A huge white cloud was clearly visible emerging out from its huge opening. The size of the volcanoe was tremenduous. The height of Popocatepetl was said to be 5,465 Meters and it was still active. Very active.

: Today was Monday, four days since the event at Placido de Cortez. After talking to the woman in the restaurant on Friday night, they had travelled the next morning to Santiago Xalitzintla, which was located about 13 km NE of the summit and sat along the road over the pass between Popocatepetl and the adjacent stratovolcanoto the Iztaccihuatl. From there they'd spend hours finding a certain Mr. Petr Zaoral, who would fly them to the volcanoe... or at least as close as possible. Finding Mr. Zaoral was on thing, and convincing him to fly them was another.

: Lauren, looking at the stout, yet regal-looking, 40-ish man, hadn't thought at first that he would go into their bargain. The next day, Sunday he'd called them at the hostel where they had sought shelter, and on the phone he had said in his grumpy laconic way of speaking that he agreed. Now as they were flying over the great expanse of the Mexican country, she had yet to marvel at how well the man manuevered the helicopter.

: "Hen- I men Dad! If the volcanoe is still active--"
: Zaoral who hadn't chosen to remain silent for most of the time since they'd started, interrupted her. "The latest significant activity took place from 1920-22," he stopped as if he was in pain... then in a most eerie calm voice he added, "You folks should stay away from that place. It will do you no good."

: Indy and Lauren exchanged curious glances. What had he meant by that?

: They reached the little pueblo at the base of the stratovolcanoe and landed on the grassy patch of land, located just by the forest which partly blocked their view of the volcanoe.

: Eric and Mike were already waiting for them, as well as Anthony, who had arrived the day before. Waving wildly they kept their distance till the Sikorsky (The first Black Hawk, as Zaoral called his model) could land. Then they helped Lauren and Indy descend from the copter.

: Indy, who wondered why Petr hadn't got off, lingered by the man. "Don't you want to rest for a while and drink something with us in the pueblo?" he asked.

: A hurt expression crossed the pilot's face and Indy could register a flicker of unfathomable fear and pain in his eyes. Why?

: Petr, shook his head. "Sorry, but I-I've got work to do back home. I-I'll pick up in 5 days then?" The man seemed genuinely scared. Was it of the place or of what the place had done to him?

: Indy nodded and understood. There were places which he's swore never to place foot on again...

: He held on to his fedora, as The First Black Hawk swung into the heavens again. He watched its figure disappear into the distance before he calmly walked over to his children and Anthony who were waiting for him at the end of the field.

:
: Chapter 13

: The inhabitants of the pueblo were mostly natives. They seemed rather exited at the thought of having foreign visitors to their place. Masamumateo, the chief chaplain came over to greet them. He was a dark, fat man with an overly friendly smiling face; a face you wouldn't trust your dog to...

: "Welcome! Welcome!" he breathed heavily, with hands outstretched trying to keep a sense of balance over his "rounded" body.

: Since it was still too early to start out into their expedition, and since they were in much need of information, the five-some decided to linger for some hours at the little village. The latter a curiously constructed compilation of bamboo and clay huts which seemed rather newly constructed.

: Masamumateo led them over to the largest of one of these clay huts and bade them to enter. The interior was lavishy decorated with various assemblies of wooden carvings, ivory etchings & beeded & spun handworks. The furniture was sparse though, and only a woolen carpet and some low stools graced the floor.

: An elderly woman, whose age would be impossible to guess, was seated at the base of what seemed to appear as a throne (a elaborately carved chair made out of a single tree trunk.)

: "My mother, the wise and beautiful: Almatheanna!!!" the village chief introduced them.

: Indy shot Eric a reprimanding look as he nearly burst out laughing at the second description of Mamumateo's mother. Yet even he himself had a hard time controlling his emotions. Smiling his famous lop-sided smile, Indiana bowed and gave his kids and Anthony a hint that they should do the same. No need to get unfriendly with the locals... who knows them might actually be of help in the future. Besides, he thought with no malicious thought in mind, it didn't hurt to be a little courteous at times.

: The old woman, whose face displayed an array of interesting wrinkles, looked up and stared silently into their eyes. She whispered something inaudible. Masamumateo, who had stood nearest to her and who had heard her speak in her native tongue, translated:
: "She said that she is very pleased to see you. She's been expecting you ...since a long time."

: Chapter 14

: Astonished the four Joneses and Anthony looked at each other. "Since a long time?" Lauren repeated. "But--"

: Masamumateo raised a silencing hand and looked at Indy instead. "Please tell your daughter that she should refrain from speaking in such tones to the elders. For a girl especially it is improper to address someone without having been addressed first!"

: "Hey! But I was only--"
: "Lauren." Indy took her to the side. "It won't do us any good to argue with the natives here. They might actually help us out in our quest. Please, dear, I know you got that feisty streak from your mother( and I loved her for it), but not now."
: For a moment a fire shone in her eyes and Indy was afraid she'd throw a scene, then she smiled half-heartedly and raised her shoulders in defeat. "Okay, whatever you say Henry."

: Masamumateo and Almatheanna had watched them in silence. The woman then beckoned Lauren over. Hesitantly Lauren walked over to her and fell slowly on her knees before her.

: Almatheanna took Lauren's hands in hers and stared deeply into her eyes. Lauren, a bit frightened didn't budge till the woman smiled and said something in her native tongue. Questioningly she looked up at the chief.

: A grandious smile appeared on his face-- it literally seemed to beam. He too fell down on his knees and grasped her shoulder. "She said that you are going to find the spear and save our people!"

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]