Indiana Jones and The Aztec Spear (chpater 16)

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Tessa from 138.87.169.47 on July 02, 1999 at 07:17:22:

Chapter 15
Lauren sat in disbelief outside of the huts the villagers gave them to stay in. Me? Why me?, she wondered as her father came from behind, putting a hand of her shoulder, and said,
“Are you all right?”
“I’m fine,” looking at the sky.
Indy smiled, sat down next to her, ands said, “This reminds me of India.”
“India?” Lauren frowned a bit, “Where you and mom got married?”
He nodded his head and said, “But it was much earlier. About fifteen years before I married your mother, I came upon a village dealing with Sankara stones and Kali.”
“Sankara? The stones you talked about when I was little?” Lauren’s eyes jumped.
He nodded and said, “They used one of the stones to protect the village. When the stone was taken, an evil as they called it came upon the village.”
“And you had to reclaim the stone and almost die for it,” Lauren said.
“That’s about right,” smiling at her, “and now it’s your turn.”
“But why me? Dad, I don’t understand.”
Indy smiled weakly and said, “When your mother and I were in India, we had a fortuneteller tells us our future. He told us that one child we have that causes us grief will carry on my adventures.”
Lauren gave a lop-sided smile and said, “I did cause trouble for you and Mom. You especially after she died.”
“And somehow your mother knew it wouldn’t be either Eric or Michael. Woman’s intuition, she said,” smiling at her.
Lauren pulled the locket from her pocket, opened it, and said, “I miss her, Dad.”
Indy held her tight, tears coming out of his eyes, and said, “So do I.”

“What are you doing up?” a voice said coming from behind.
Lauren turned around and saw Anthony, with a concern look in his eyes. She smiled a bit and said, “I couldn’t sleep.”
“Neither could I,” sitting down next to her and held her close. He skimmed her hair with his hand and said, “Something troubling you?”
Lauren shook her head and said, “I’m just thinking.”
“About what?”
“Everything,” grinning at him as he leaned over and gave her a kiss, “You know. I never understood why you’ve stayed with me for this past year.”
“It’s because I love you, Lauren,” smiling at her, “Don’t you love me?”
“I do,” looking at him as he fumbled in his pockets for something. He withdrew a small box and said,
“I wanted to give you this,” handing her the box.
Lauren paled and said, “Anthony, its’ not what I think it is, is it?”
Anthony opened the box and inside was a beautiful ring with two stones – a purple one and a dark yellow one – glowing at them. Lauren looked at them as Anthony said, “I’m not ready to get married yet, Lauren. But I wanted to give you this on graduation but it wasn’t ready yet.”
“The stones?”
“Represents our birthdays,” he replied as he slipped it on her finger, “I just want to show you how much I love you, Lauren Jones.”
“Anthony…I…” as he kissed her on the forehead and said, “I think we should get some sleep. We have a big day tomorrow.”
As Anthony walked back to the hut he shared with her brothers, Lauren stared at his retreating figure and then at the ring in disbelief. Anthony, why are you giving this to me now? she wondered as she went back to her hut and fell asleep.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]