Indiana Jones and the Aztec Spear

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Chapter 16 by Deirdre from NS.SKYINET.NET on July 04, 1999 at 09:54:36:

In Reply to: Chapter 17 of Indiana Jones and the Aztec Spear (revision) posted by Tessa on July 03, 1999 at 10:02:57:

CHAPTER 18

In horror Lauren watched the kermantle rope turn thinner and thinner. Her breath was coming out in short gasps and she took enormous effort in staying calm. Calm? Dangling there in mid air suspended hundreds of feet over the rocky terrain, her disposition was anything but calm! Her terrified gaze went up to Anthony and her family, who were too far away from her to reach her in time. It was just a matter of minutes now till the climbing rope would break entirely and her body would fall down into the fathomless crevice below. Oh God...no!

Then she remembered that she still had one frail chance!

Gulping she freed her right hand of the rope she was grasping, so that she was only hanging on with the left one. Then quickly before she could loose hold,(her hands were trembing frightfully) she uncoiled the whip that her brother had bought her last week at the market (bless him), and lashed its tip to the boulder ahead.

It missed its target by inches.

Dammit! Why did nothing work the first time?! By now her left knuckles were already white from the stess of clutching on to dear life. She nearly dropped the whip.

"You can do it Lauren!" Anthony's voice echoed in her ears as she tried for her second time.

This time the tip of her whip landed right where it should be: right in the middle of the crack in the rock. She tugged briefly to test if it could support her weight and then,... it seemed like one of those impossible slow-motion gags in those risky adventure movies you see on television, Lauren swung herself unto the top of the protruding rock formation and grabbed hold of the nearest nick in the wall to steady herself and grasp for support.

Her heart was racing like mad and she just stood there, catching her breath. She didn't even hear the joyous shouts and clapping 10 meters above her.

In awe Anthony had watched his girlfriend lash that whip and swing herself from one place to another. Was this the very same college girl who got the top grades in class and appeared to be the very goody-toe-shoe he'd expected her to be? The girl who never would go to any of those nightly schools social events due to fear of missing class the next day? Slowly he started to see her in a new light... and he wasn't so sure whether he did NOT like what he saw. He smiled silently to himself but stopped when he saw her slumped figure leaning against the rock below them. Was she alright? Had she hurt herself?

"Lauren! Don't worry I'm coming!" he shouted and quickly lowered himself to her level.

Lauren slowly looked up as he approached and smiled. "I'm okay, Tony," she carefully extended an arm to reach for the spare emergency rope which he was holding to her,"I think I just did my first Indiana Jones whip stunt !"

-----------

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]