re: Aztec Spear & Popo anecdote

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Inbanana Jones from archlab.anthro.uwm.edu on July 04, 1999 at 14:28:08:

Years (too many) ago I climbed Mt. Popo, the very volcano featured in the forum novel. While I didn't stumble across any Aztec spears, I did learn that the crater was of much interest to conquistadors, who used it as a resource for gunpowder manufacture. Apparently they would (under threats of death, of course) send locals down into the crater in ropes and baskets to gather sulfur for the process, and way too many Mexicans didn't make it back.

Climbing Popo itself makes for a great adventure for a lowland gringo, as the scree slopes leading to the rock and snow summit can be a slow and arduous climb. It is amusing, albeit frustrating for out-of-breath gringos to see day-trippers from Mexico City trotting up the slope in sneakers and loafers, already acclimated to the altitude.

On the saddle of land between Popo and Itztachiuatl (forgive my spelling) there is actually a large (10') gold-plated cube commemorating the spot where Cortez and company first glimpsed the pyramids of Tenochtitlan (current Mexico City). This monument has relief depicting the Spanish and their Mexican guides. It definitely evokes a strange feeling of being with them as one looks down into the Valley of Mexico at the haze over the former Aztec capitol. The monument is a pleasant hike down from the Popo climbing lodge (if one can avoid the occasional snorting bull roaming through the trees - potential Indy-type escapades here!).

Looking forward to a thrilling conclusion...

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]