Indiana Jones and the Aztec Spear (Chapter 19)

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Tessa from spider-we023.proxy.aol.com on July 05, 1999 at 21:17:45:

Chapter 19

Lauren wandered back to the campsite after picking her way in the cave. She sat down near the tent, grabbed a canteen of water, and drank some of it as Indy came out of his tent. He smiled at his daughter and thought She's got more guts than I realized. He walked over to her and asked,
"Tired?"
Lauren looked up, smiled, and nodded. Indy put an arm around his daughter's shoulders and said,
"That was impressive earlier."
"I learned from the best," grinning.
Indy laughed at her and said, "Anthony's worried about you."
"I know," she softly as Indy noticed the ring on her hand and asked, "New jewelry?"
"Anthony gave it to me, Dad," looking at him.
"He asked you to marry him?"
Lauren shook her head and said, "It's a token of how he feels for me."
Indy nodded and asked, "Do you feel the same way?"
"I don't know," she said softly. She got up and stood at the edge of the cave, looking down below. Indy came from behind, a hand rested on her shoulder, and said,
"It will come to you in time."
"But how did you know?"
"I just knew," as his smiled faded and asked, "Lauren, is this what you really want?"
"Archeology is in my blood. I love it so far. It gives me a chance to explore the world beneath us."
"What if you had to choose?"
She grinned sheepishly and said, "I don't know."
He pat her shoulder, pulled something out of his pocket, handed it to her, and said,
"Here."
Lauren took it and saw it was a book. She ran a hand over it, looked at Indy and asked, "What is it?"
"Open it."
Lauren opened the book in the middle, quickly scanned the pages, and said, "Mom's diary?"
Indy nodded and said, "It helped me get through the days after she died. Maybe it will help you."
"But Dad--" she started to say but her father stopped her and said, "She would have wanted you to have it."
"Hey," said Eric from his tent, "Some of us are trying to get some sleep."
Lauren smiled a bit as Indy looked at her and said, "We better get some sleep ourselves," as he kissed her on her forehead, "Night."
"Night, Dad," as she watched her father go into his tent.
Lauren looked at the book, and then walked into her tent. She pulled out a lantern and her reading glasses, and started to read her mother's diary.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]