Indy's B-Day gift to me?

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by sajnu from host-209-214-176-224.cae.bellsouth.net on July 08, 1999 at 21:49:20:

(I was to busy to post this when it happened last week, but with the recent post about King Solomon's Mines, I figured I'd share it after all.)

So anyway, last week I decided to go someplace that I had no business being just for fun. I found this odd little antique store with a sign in the window saying that they had rare books. Despite looking hopelessly lost inside, (and half-expecting to find that little old man from Gremlins trying to sell me Gizmo), I found my way down a hallway and into the bookstore.

As soon as I entered, a little old British lady began inquiring about my ability to lift heavy objects! I began to get scared. It turns out, she needed to get to something that was behind the shelves. So, I moved the shelves, and some big-ass desk (which had no business being in such a small room), to help her out. It was no big deal, but she kept saying how she'll have to give me a discount for all my trouble, to which I said, "Oh, no problem".

I began looking through the books and realized that aside from a few fairly recent hardcovers, there wasn't anything in this place cheaper than $25, as everything appeared to be very old. Remembering the half-dollar in my pocket, (literally- one HALF of a dollar bill! I think it was the left half), I laughed to myself, "I'm not so sure a discount will help me out!

As I started to leave she apparently noticed my interest in the old King Solomon's Mines books by H. Rider Haggard. Before I knew it, she had hobbled over with her cane, and handed me a copy of Allan Quatermain that was well over 60 years old! I ended up walking out of the store with it, as well as another book that was a first edition, (different author), from the early 1920's! I figure I made off with nearly $50 worth of books, (judging from the price slips inside the books that she removed). I thought it was very ironic that this should happen on Indy's birthday. Maybe it was his way of providing me with further tales of adventure!

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]