Re: King Solomon's Mines

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Abner from user-2ive8a9.dialup.mindspring.com on July 09, 1999 at 09:45:03:

In Reply to: Re: King Solomon's Mines posted by Nick Kismet on July 08, 1999 at 22:10:37:

: : : :
: : : : I was browsing through a video store here a few days back, and I saw this video case. It's titled "The Mines of Kilimanjari(?)" and the hero wears a fedora, and is adventure based too! The theme? 1930s! The enemy? Hitler!
: : : : Good thing he wasn't an archaeologist, or I might've shouted RIP-OFF!!! right there and then.
: : : : So, has anyone seen this movie?

: : : : Till then.

: : : : ---Indiana Jerico

: : :
: : : I haven't seen that one but now I want to! Sounds like it is also inspired by King Solomon's Mines with Richard Chamberlain, another 1980s adventure movie cashing in on the Indy craze. As a side note, I did enjoy the original novel by Rider Haggard. Worth checking out if you like reading adventure stories.

: : : Cheers,
: : : Abner
: : -----------------
: : King Solomon's Mines goes back to at least the 1950's for the original movie. Chamberlain's was a remake.

: Actually, there is an even older version of the film, from the 1920's I believe. Remake is probably the wrong word...the movies have the same main character, but not much else in common with each other or the book.

Right. The original story is just that- an original adventure novel. I have no doubt the decision to make it into a movie in the 1980s(again, apparently) was influenced by the success of Indiana Jones.

Cheers,
Abner

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL: