Re: Indy's gun...

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Anejo Joe from mlknfrw1.milliken.com on July 09, 1999 at 10:48:39:

In Reply to: Re: Indy's gun... posted by Abner on July 09, 1999 at 09:49:40:

: : In "Raiders" Indy seems to change guns in midfight during the shootout in Nepal, going from a revolver to a semi-automatic. I understand both guns use the same ammo and it's been said that Indy carries the second as a backup.
: : I think this is a film flub and not an intentional characterization. If they meant us to think Indy carries two guns then they should have made it clearer. When we see Indy packing at home and he says what a cautious fellow he is, we clearly see him pack the revolver.
: : If Indy carries two guns then why does he only wear one holster? Where is the other gun when he's not using it. We never see him fumbling in his bag looking for the other gun.

: : Just a thought.

: Watch that scene real closely- in slow mo if necessary. It seems to me like the revolver runs out of ammo in the Bar fight and then goes for his other gun. There is one shot where he is fumbling with his gun and then in the next part of the shootout he has the semi-automatic. Maybe he doesn't always carry two guns. We do see him with the semi-auto again on Katanga's boat as well.

: Cheers,
: Abner

-----------------------------
If memory serves me, the revolver did fire six times before Indy produced the semi-automatic. The revolver used .45 ACP bullets, and they had to be fitted into half-moon clips before loading in the cylinder. Unless you had a batch of pre-loaded half-moon clips in your pocket, then reloading the revolver could be time-consuming, much more so than loading a cylinder with revolver cartridges. It is much faster to load a 1911A1 semi-auto. A better choice of revolvers would have been the Smith & Wesson .357 Magnum which became available in 1935.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]