More about the age difference between Indy and Marion...

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by ROB T. from 162.10.138.28 on July 11, 1999 at 23:40:30:

First I want to thank Tessa, Meg, Kate and Deidre (I didn't mean to leave you out earlier) for their responses to my post about Indy's treatment of Marion. Although I didn't agree with everything that was said, I appreciate that you responded in a serious way and I can see you gave the issue a lot of thought. I'd like to rebut on a couple of points.
First, I want to clear up how I know about Marion's age since one of you brought it up. On page 71 of the novelization for "Raiders," Marion is thinking about her past with Indy and states that she was fifteen at the time.

Someone said that Indy had to lie to Marion about the value of the medallion because he knew that she wouldn't give it to him otherwise. This strikes me as situational ethics; as long as I get what I want from you then I can use whatever means necessary. If I know you don't want to give me your watch then I'm allowed to lie to you about its value? That doesn't strike me as fair.

In the tent in the desert it's been said that Indy had no choice but to leave Marion because they would both have been in danger if he didn't. That may be so but I reiterate that he took a huge chance with Marion's life in doing so. If he had rescued her then and there they may have been chased by the Nazis or they may not. By leaving her there, Indy knew he would be leaving her in the Nazis clutches for several more hours while he had no way of knowing what they'd do to her. He had no right to do this without her permission. This is not because I think of Marion as helpless. If the situation were reversed and Indy was the one tied up I'd say that Marion had the same obligation to him.

In the marketplace maybe the conversation between Indy and Marion was just friendly banter. I'll concede that they probably saw it that way. It struck me different since just a few days earlier they'd had a heated argument over the same topic in the bar in Nepal. If I were talking to an ex-girlfriend about a topic that I knew was a sore subject with her I'd be a little more careful in my joking.

On the subject of Indy not checking the burning truck, I can't disagree more with the way he behaved. There's absolutely no excuse for him not attempting to rescue her. Even if she were killed instantly, and I don't think she would be, what about the disposal of her body? He shows no concern for taking care of her burial and just leaves her to the Egyptian government for disposal as an unidentified Jane Doe in an unmarked grave. She deserved better.

As to the age difference between Indy and Marion, I agree that ten years is not all that much when both people are adults but one of them was still a child. I do not think that a fifteen year old girl knows what she's doing in matters of love. Hell, at thirty-four I still don't know what I'm doing half the time.
I realize it was a different time so I don't think it's that big of a deal. However, I'm bothered by one thing there. Indy was friends with Marion's father and Abner definately didn't approve of their relationship. I agree that fathers can't always protect their daughters in matters of love but since she was fifteen I think Abner had a right to try. And Indy should have kept his distance. Where I come from a man doesn't sleep with his friends daughter.

Well, thta's all I wanted to add. Again I thank you all for taking my little rant seriously and not just telling me to shut up and leave Indy alone. He's a tough guy and can take a little punishment.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]