Re: At last! A decent comparison!!

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by todd from 149.82.21.162 on July 13, 1999 at 08:22:49:

In Reply to: At last! A decent comparison!! posted by Brian on July 13, 1999 at 02:07:37:

Thanks for the feedback. I had not heard that Peter might have lost the original patterns before. I guess I can see where it might make sense they might have copied a Cooper jacket if they were in a pinch supplying jackets for ToD.

I agree on the look of the leather in Raiders and ToD; it does not have the "puffy" look of antique lambskin. Regular lambskin hangs a bit more like leather, however. Once "distressed" by the property/wardrobe people, it could achieve the look we see in the videos.

The jacket used in LC looks like the same material as my Wested. For the predistressed finish, Peter told me they use lambhide rather then lambskin. Lambhide is also known as antique lambskin. It is heavier and "puffier" looking then lambskin. It also lends itself more to rapid aging, and produces a much better look when Peter runs it through his dryer with the pebbles.

One point I would have to contend; the Wested I received from Peter is the Raider's jacket in every detail (except the collar band, which I'm not sure why, but really bugs me!). The cut, fit, and details are pure Raiders. If you want the REAL THING, you have to get the Wested Raiders. Ask Peter if he can replace the collar lining with leather rather then cotton/satin, though. It just doesn't look like it is going to hold up very well.

: Hey Todd,

: Thanks. I've always wondered what observations could be made with the 2 jackets side by side. I agree with you on the differences. They can't be denied.

: I have a Cooper which I love dearly and if I was to go out on a limb I would say it's a closer match to the Raiders and TOD jackets than the pics I've seen (which are numerous) of the Wested. And I also mean in leather type too. If you notice the jacket in Raiders and TOD it hangs on Ford with a weighted appearance as if a heavier leather (e.g. cowhide) and in Crusade it "sits" quite neatly. I often wonder if they really all were lambskin. I know Pete Botwright has apparantly confirmed that they were.

: In saying all that, I am still getting a Wested soon. But I do think you have made some good points which need addressing. There are some new clouds of doubt cast up with your review but I don't see any harm if it can be established that there were more differences than first first suggested by Pete.

: One of the possibilities is that after Pete lost the original pattern (so I read), he made a new one based on the Cooper jackets (yeah, I know, blasphemy!) hence the TOD styling. Then when it came time for LC, he found the original pattern (so I read), considered the TOD jacket and made a few adjustments to "average" the appearance or alter it so no one jacket was the same as in the other films.

: This is purely speculative, so I would welcome any helpful comments.

: Regards,

: Brian

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL: