Re: thanks for the info Todd

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by whiskey? from spider-wc011.proxy.aol.com on July 13, 1999 at 14:37:10:

In Reply to: Re: What versionis the Disney Jacket closest to? posted by Todd on July 13, 1999 at 07:36:16:

: There have been two Disney jackets offered. The first is more accurate to the original Raiders jacket, but as with all plain cuffed jackets, it was harder to sell in the parks as sleeve length was an issue, and Disney did not want to offer tailoring to hem the cuffs. They, therefore, discontinued offering this jacket in February 1999. The new jacket they offer (which was the first Indy jacket I purchased) has so many differences that it is really difficult to call it a true Indy jacket.

: 1. It does have snaps on the storm flap, so I guess you could say it’s like the LC jacket configuration.

: 2. It has snaps on the cuffs, thus eliminating the need for hemming. The cuffs when snapped however are VERY tight. Forget about wearing a watch. Obviously, none of the three movie jackets had snaps on the cuffs.

: 3. The side straps are attached far away from the handwarmer slits, more consistent with the ToD jacket, HOWEVER, the straps are reversed, i.e. the rings are nearest to the handwarmers, and the straps are attached to the rear panel of the jacket. It may not sound like a big deal, but when attached this way they REAYY stick out and take a lot of abuse. I had to take mine to a shoe repair shop and have the straps tacked down with a few stitches to make them less noticeable.

: 4. The jacket has a very nice satin lining, with an Indy map motif.

: 5. The collar and bi-swing design are consistent with all three movies, the collar being more like LC.

: Overall construction of the jacket is actually quite good. The finish on the leather is more consistent with "dress" jackets, in that it doesn't age like the Wested or Cooper jackets (both of which I own as well). The bottom line is that the Disney jacket is a fine leather jacket with certain Indy style elements. If you are looking for something "authentic/collectable" you are better going with the Wested. If you want "authentic/durable/wearable everyday not worrying you are going to tear it" then go with the Cooper.

:

Thanks Todd,
I'll have to look into the Cooper as well, but I'll probably end up with a Wested...just to darn alluring to have "the real thing"
Tom

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]