Something that bugs me about "Temple of Doom."

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by ROB T. from 162.10.138.28 on July 14, 1999 at 03:34:49:

Two things happen at the beginning of "Temple" that I haven't heard anyone on this forum address.
First, when Indy, Short Round and Willie jump out of the plane. Even using the inflatable raft to cushion their fall, the height is so high and the raft so flimsy that they would have been killed when they hit the ground. Instead Willie doesn't even break a nail. Then they fall again from another incredible height into the river for another injury-free landing. Even Indiana Jones could not survive either of these falls. The raft doesn't afford enough protection for a splatter landing on the hard ground (not even if you factor in the snow) and a river is not that soft a landing when you consider the height they fell from.
This happens in movies all the time and it bugs the heck out of me. Zorro jumps thirty feet and we're supposed to believe his coat acts as a parachute. In "Rush Hour" Jackie Chan and Chris Tucker fall some fifty feet to a hard landing and are barely bruised. Then they show Jackie hanging from a beam that's about the same height and we're supposed to believe his life is in danger if he falls.

The second one I'm not as certain about. When they bail out of the plane isn't it out of gas? If it is then why does it explode on impact? This happens in movies a lot too. Vehicles that crash because they're out of fuel and yet they still explode. Without fuel there is nothing combustable about a crashing plane.
But like I said, I'm not sure that the plane Indy was on is out of gas. It's been awhile since I saw "Temple."

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]