Another poll...

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by ROB T. from 162.10.138.28 on July 16, 1999 at 03:52:01:

Which scene from all the movies do you think most epitomizes who Indy is? I'm not talking about your fave scene here but the one shows Indy in his fullest light. The scene that shows that Indy is different from other men. The scene that separates him from other heroes. Here's mine.

For me the scene which shows Indy in full form is the submarine scene from "Raiders." This is a scene I've mini-criticized before but that's part of why it epitomizes the Indy character for me.
I've said that climbing on the sub is suicide and I still hold to that. if the sub dives below parascope depth then Indy drowns. if it doesn't then he dies from hypothermia. And yet he still climbs on.
When Katanga's men cheer and salute I get a lump in my throat. From this moment on, Indy is in control even though it doesn't look that way.
The Ark has been stolen and Marion kidnapped and the Nazis are secure in their belief that Indy is dead. Even Marion, who knows Indy's alive, has to think he'll never find her.
There's no way to follow the sub so Indy does the impossible and lives to fight on.
When he points that bazooka at Belloq and calls out to him, we share Belloq's amazement at Jones' crazy persistence. Belloq takes his hat off in frustration and, I think, in admiration. At the back of his mind even he has to realize that he will lose this one.
And when Dietrich threatens Indy we can hear how empty it sounds. We know that this man will find a way to escape from the island.
And this all begins with our single-minded, crazy adventurer hitching a piggyback ride on a submarine.

So how about you? What scene does it for you?

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]